Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slimy Soul Suckers 'Joe's Bar mix1
Gave this one a go in my spare time Big Grin

.mp3    Slimy Soul Suckers Joe\'s Bar mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.88 MB)

.mp3    Slimy Soul Suckers \'Joe\'s Bar mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.74 MB)

Reaper user
Good mix, man. I like the vocal, strong and cuts thru. The only minor things I notice are: 1. the snare loses its beefiness as soon as the music begins when compared to the roll in the intro (0:03-0:08). After that all I hear is the snappy top (maybe too much sample?) but not the body. Still sounds good but, imo, would be better if you give it a bit more body. 2. Your guitars, especially the solo, could be thicker. I also hear a bit too much of the saturation in it. Perhaps that's the reason why. The stabbing guitar also needs a bit more body, too much saturation it smears the attack. It should be more...stabbing. Imo, this type of music doesn't need a lot of distortion. I also think maybe the hi from the guitars take some of the beater out of the kick making it less defined. I still can hear it but preferred to have more.

I have been trying to listen to phase issues lately and your snare/guitars sounds familiar with some of the phase problems I ran into in the past. I hesitate to say it bc I am not 100% sure, but it's something you can check. In this song, I flipped the snare down/ hihats/ drumroom/sample to match with the OH. It did help in my mix. Hope it helps, man. Cheers.
Hi SonicTramp thanks very much for your info,I made a mix2 with what I hope is the necessary adjustments,and I have to say well spotted about the drum phase issue,I was going to leave a comment on your mix of this track but I can see that there are some serious discussion going on there lol,I will do a review on one of your mixes in the coming days,thanks again.
Reaper user
No need to thank me. I am just passing on info and knowledge, as it should be when we learn as a group. You know something you teach me; I know something I pass it on to you. I learn how to recognize it from Tambo man, Roy, mikej, etc. There is absolutely no need to go around waving one's manhood trying to prove something. Small man puts people down, big man lifts them up. That's the only difference. I just want to hang out with big men bc that's how I hope to learn.

I am still working on the mix. The one you saw was the old mix, don't waste your time. I'll post it soon as I am done and then you can tell me what's wrong with it. Thanks for even trying to return a favor.

Anywayz, I listen to the 2nd mix and think it's a big improvement.

One small suggestion (and I am treading on unfamiliar terrain): maybe work on the attack/release on the bass a bit more and see if you can bring the body of the snare and the kick beater a bit more. My guess right now is I think you either have the attack too slow or the release too fast. In my experience both can obscure all the top end of almost everything. Bring the attack in a bit faster and listen to everything, especially the ones I mentioned and/or lengthen the release and do the same. I'd also turn my attention to the guitars/hats bc they, too, can steal some away from the kick/snare. Try it. If it doesn't work you can always put it back, right. No one dies. Hope it helps. Cheers.
Ok after hearing your mix you inspired me to do another mix

.mp3    Slimy Soul Suckers \'Joe\'s Bar mix3.mp3.1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.68 MB)

Reaper user
Iam feeling the vibe now so this is my final mix.

.mp3    Slimy Soul Suckers \'Joe\'s Bar FINAL MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 10.55 MB)

Reaper user