Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nova-One Studio - Four Graham - Only Reaper stock plugins
Hello guys,
There's this mixing contest happening on Reaper forum, and this song was the subject of this month.
It's been a while I haven't worked with distorted guitars, and I took the challenge to get a big sound out of it, considering this contest rule, that only allows Reaper stock plugins.
Flawless it isn't, yet I am proud of the consistency and would like to know how you feel it !
Bless

.mp3    Nova One Studio - Four Graham.mp3 --  (Download: 6.17 MB)

FYI you didn't upload the file.
(28-05-2023, 04:03 PM)roy Wrote: FYI you didn't upload the file.
Updated, thank you  Angel Too bad we can't upload high quality files.
I gave it a quick listen.

The vocals feel a bit too buried. That compression sound they have might work better in parallel with a uncompressed or lightly processed track. The first attack of the vocal is really noticeable.

The guitars in the second verse pop out a bit too much and feel disconnected from the rest of the mix.

Overall there feels like a lot of compression going on which produces some cool tones but this song feels like it's all about the dynamics. It says that right from the intro and by the chorus it should feel huge and breath and have more of an emotional release. Now the mix feels boxed in. Just a dB or two more overall in the chorus relative to the other sections could really help the it open up and add to the impact.

Tonally it feels ok. It's a little fatiguing but it might just be me and the cymbal bashing. Still, a wide but slight overall cut in the upper mids, like a dB or two might help. Maybe some air as well but I'm on the fence about that. The low end feels fine in that nothing jumps out and bothers me. The low mids might be a little 'thick' I don't hate it. Maybe take a look and see if your happy with the low mids/upper bass region. I'm in no place to judge the subs at the moment but my ample gut feels like there might be a little to much energy going on down there and maybe it's affecting the mix compression/limiting? I dunno.

The mix works but feels contained and 'dense'. I'm sure none of this helps but it's just some observations off the top of my head.
Thank you roy, I'm used to mixing metal and I loved the juiciness of these rhythm guitars, you're right especially on dosing overall loudness of each part. I might have considered too much the crash cymbal giving the right contrast for the chorus, but so I couldn't attenuate it without losing this contrast.
Enjoying these advices thank you