Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Evans - Me And My Crew - Mix by PHK
Hi. My new attempt. After working hard, I think this is the best I can do so far. Mixed in Cubase, no fancy plug-ins, just massive EQ and compression. No samples and no automations. Cheers.

Edit: Version #2 attached. After several attempts, adjusting mainly EQs.

Edit2: Version #3 attached. After more several attempts, a totally different version.

Edit3: Version #4 attached. A totally differente mix, Trying to make it sound big, smooth, pleasant.

.mp3    Will Evans - Me And My Crew - PHK Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

.mp3    Will Evans - Me And My Crew - PHK Mix #2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

.mp3    Will Evans - Me And My Crew - PHK Mix #3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

.mp3    Will Evans - Me And My Crew - PHK Mix #4.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

Hi. After insisting on about 20 new attempts, mainly adjusting EQs on all tracks, I arrived at this new version #2. Sounds a lot better to me - at least so far. Tomorrow I may find it horrible, just as I find the first version now... How difficult it is to mix... I just keep insisting because I really like it, but maybe that's not enough, and who knows, maybe in the future I'll come to the conclusion that mixing isn't my thing... For now, I haven't given up yet. Blush
Hi!

I only listened to mix 2.

The only thing for me is that I think it is just a touch heavy in the low mids, or perhaps lacking a touch of highs. I think you can see this on a spectrum analyser. A broad 1.5db cut at 200Hz and a broad 1db boost at around 5k for me got rid of the slight wooliness and gave a touch of presence to the mix.

Aside from that, this is a pretty good mix. I wouldn't advise giving up just yet! Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(12-10-2023, 06:04 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!   

I only listened to mix 2. 

The only thing for me is that I think it is just a touch heavy in the low mids, or perhaps lacking a touch of highs.  I think you can see this on a spectrum analyser.  A broad 1.5db cut at 200Hz and a broad 1db boost at around 5k for me got rid of the slight wooliness and gave a touch of presence to the mix. 

Aside from that, this is a pretty good mix.  I wouldn't advise giving up just yet! Smile.

Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try some changes soon and get back here.
Hey.

I attached another new version, #3. Please comment and criticize. I keep trying and insisting. As always, the previous versions now sound horrible to me, and the current one suits me just fine (I don't know until when). How difficult it is to mix. I really wanted to hear what this song would sound like mixed by a pro, to get a sense and understand where we can go and where the recording limitations are. Could you please indicate if there is a pro level mix of this song? Thanks.
Hi,

Pro mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoTzClg514
The end credits show the mix engineer was Jake Subin.

I'll hopefully have some time to give the latest mix a listen later today.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(22-10-2023, 10:51 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Pro mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoTzClg514
The end credits show the mix engineer was Jake Subin.

I'll hopefully have some time to give the latest mix a listen later today.

Cheers!
Thanks. But I was looking for a mix at the level found on a commercial album, and the official one doesn't sound like it, perhaps because the focus is different.
Hi!

Well, the link I gave above is the pro level mix of this particular live performance, which is what you asked for. Personally I think the Telefunken mixes are great and are tough to beat.

You might possibly be able to make this session sound like a polished clean studio recorded track. To my mind you are likely right that this session was not recorded with quite that end goal in mind. I think you might end up chasing your tail trying to turn this into something it was not quite intended to be, if that makes sense?

Personally I think it rarely works out when people try and turn sessions into something they are not. The tracks can end up being over polished to get rid of bleed, etc, and the live performance vibe can be lost and the mix ends up sounding a bit flat or odd.

Maybe the album mix was made from the Telefunken session recordings though, or maybe it was a different studio recording? What do you think?

Link to album mix:

Will Evans - Me and My Crew, from the Signal Flares album.
https://willevansmusic.bandcamp.com/trac...nd-my-crew

I think there's llikely an official video on Youtube too.

If you are looking to practice making a commercial album style mix, I'd maybe suggest choosing a different session that was recorded with that goal in mind. There are a number of sessions here that do have commercial releases that I would think might be more suitable for what I think you are aiming at.

All that is just my opinion though. Hope it helps all the same?

Cheers!
Another last attempt, trying to sound like a track on a commercial album. I tried to sound big, smooth, pleasant. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Sorry to disagree, mikej, but I don't think Telefunken's mixes are good. It's not that the professionals are bad, far from it, but I think it's because they are probably done live and without the time and attention that can be dedicated to a regular mix done in a studio. 

Cheers.