Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe's Bar has the blues
A David Gilmour-like solo and some BB King-ish riffin' in the same song!
Fun Sunday evening project!

.mp3    Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe\'s Bar - ML.mp3 --  (Download: 9.88 MB)

~~ Here to learn and help ~~

Marty
Mixer/Engineer/Producer
Austin, Texas, USA
hi, I don't like it Sad the guitars are supper muffled and sound cheap. They are also out of phase reaching -30 in the intro so maybe that's why. Snare is a bit boomy to my ear. The drums are mixed in a way that exaggerates the measure (2/4) which feels odd
(17-05-2023, 10:34 PM)vovolan Wrote: hi, I don't like it Sad the guitars are supper muffled and sound cheap. They are also out of phase reaching -30 in the intro so maybe that's why. Snare is a bit boomy to my ear. The drums are mixed  in a way that exaggerates the measure (2/4) which feels odd

Thanks for the review. The guitars are out of phase with what? Each other? I'm confused there. -30 on a correlation meter? Did you do the correlation on the side or mid? If they are out of phase in the intro, they must be out of phase the entire song. I just don't know what they are out of phase with.

Are you saying the 2 (4/4 time signature) is exaggerated? That would be the snare. Then the 4 would be exaggerated also. I didn't turn the snare up every measure on the second beat and down on the 4. Are you saying the snare is too loud?

I appreciate all comments and criticism. Most are actually helpful. I'm just not sure I understand yours.

Maybe next time (for example -- not necessarily this song -- just an example):

There is a phase issue in the mix. The correlation meter is showing negative numbers throughout the chorus. The guitars sound like they need some low mids carved out. You are losing the shuffle feel with the way you mixed the drums.

Marty
Mixer/Engineer/Producer
Austin, Texas, USA
Ooo. I really like this, Marty. And I really get the Gilmore/King references. I like your overall use of effects and the environment you created for the Gilmore guitar solo. Not quite as happy with the second/BB solo. You captured the groove very well although the hat and cymbals up the middle get a bit harsh at times (I panned the mono OH and mono room tracks left and right, respectively) which allowed for placement of the hat to the drummer's right side. Still, this is a great interpretation and very well expressed. Nicely done, sir.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
> The guitars are out of phase with what? Each other? I'm confused there. -30 on a correlation meter? Did you do the correlation on the side or mid?

Sorry I wasn't precise enough. There is one guitar playing in the intro (track 17) which sounded a bit odd to me and that's why I put the phase meter and saw it goes negative. The guitar is out of phase with itself, you must have put some imager type of effect on it/removed mids or something. No point in elaborating further, jus invert right channel and see for yourself
(18-05-2023, 11:07 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Ooo. I really like this, Marty. And I really get the Gilmore/King references. I like your overall use of effects and the environment you created for the Gilmore guitar solo. Not quite as happy with the second/BB solo. You captured the groove very well although the hat and cymbals up the middle get a bit harsh at times (I panned the mono OH and mono room tracks left and right, respectively) which allowed for placement of the hat to the drummer's right side. Still, this is a great interpretation and very well expressed. Nicely done, sir.
Thanks Mix. The overhead mic was a challenge, and your right, probably a little brittle in the outro. Let's make more music  Smile

Marty
Mixer/Engineer/Producer
Austin, Texas, USA