Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Stevie was sorely missed on your site. Well done Mike!
"And not just any old human performance, either, because everything but the horns was apparently overdubbed by Wonder himself."
Drums first, all in one take as the legend goes (forgot where I heard this). So you have Stevie with the entire song's dynamic roadmap already planned out. Inspiring stuff.
(22-09-2023, 06:25 PM)yeroc Wrote: Stevie was sorely missed on your site. Well done Mike!
"And not just any old human performance, either, because everything but the horns was apparently overdubbed by Wonder himself."
Drums first, all in one take as the legend goes (forgot where I heard this). So you have Stevie with the entire song's dynamic roadmap already planned out. Inspiring stuff.
A phenomenal talent, no question. But I can understand how, if you've never been able on rely on written/printed representations of music to keep it in your mind, your ability to envision all that stuff in your head might well become more strongly developed. I know that my musical memory has certainly suffered from my general over-reliance on notation of one type or another! Smile
Great to see the recognition of his vocals, which have been part of our culture for so long one almost takes them for granted.  If I may, I should say that it's highly likely Stevie 'felt;' his way musically through those things you detail rather than being concious of them.  It's what I love about his work before MIDI and sequencing came to dominate his output - that sense of visceral, unfettered musciality pouring into the recordings that he made with Margouleff and Cecil at the helm.  I suspect that his 24/7 immersion in performing, recording and prduction since his pre teen years gave him the skills he needed to not even think about what he was doing, as his later work shows far more control and planning and is the worse for it. There is a great book by keyboard player Steve Lodder which goes into a lot of juicy detail about that period and contains musical analysis similar to your own - a must read for Stevie fans https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stevie-Wonder-M...0879308214  Thanks again for a great review.