Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Don't You Stay - Mixed by Nanao
This is my mix version.
I used David Bowie as references.
Hope you like it!

.mp3    Why dont you stay MIXED by NANAO_PRINT-St.mp3 --  (Download: 10.67 MB)

@fnanaof on Instagram
@fnanao on Facebook

[Image: https://sptfy.com/generate_qrb.php?url=MGjB~q]
Hi!

Hey, not bad!

I do have a few thoughts though:

I'd maybe consider panning the intro guitar solo straight up the middle? I feel the electric guitar could possibly be panned out the way of the vocal. It kind of gets in the way of it a bit and makes the middle of the mix feel a bit more congested than it perhaps needs to be? There's plenty of space to use between the speakers, and it would give the vocal a little more space to shine. The vocal could do with a bit more work on those T's and S's at times too perhaps? It's been a while since I had a go at this one - I suspect the vocal might need a little manual editing rather than just a de-esser.

Still pretty good though!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I'll agree that the intro guitar could be centered. It could also use...something. The part is fairly simple and risks being mundane. It doesn't need a huge obvious effect but maybe some subtle and subliminal delay to add to the rhythm of the part would help it move along. Also, the notes die a bit too quickly.

The rhythm guitar doesn't really bother me as much as it does Mike. Though I think it could be automated back during the vocals. At least in the verse. Panning is an option but it may still call attention to itself peripherally.

I'd say the vocal feels a bit 'nasal'. It's not the mix, it's just how his voice is. I think that could be tamed a little in the 1.5khz area. + or - whatever sounds good. It's kind of where that staccato guitar is too.

I don't hate the low end but if'n I need to nit pick I could use more separation between the kick and bass. They work well together but I wish the individual parts were a little more distinct.
Thanks a lot for the feedback's @Mikej and @Roy! I really appreciate!

Actually the rhythm guitar can be a little more in the base during the song. I redid some automations. Regarding the vocal lead, I used a parallel track where I add compression, eq and valves (crush). I also redid some automations on it and realized that my de-esser was on bypass because of a bad automation, so the "Ss" sounded a little stronger.

As for the intro guitar panning, I think it's more a question of the mix concept. I like how it sounds. Usually when I download the files I don't like to read any tips about the mix, I just use the reference rough mix and feel the music. I analyze the lyrics, arrangement, etc. and I put what I feel the song asks for. Then, if I get lost in the mix or I think I've lost my hand, I look for information about it.

We're in touch!
@fnanaof on Instagram
@fnanao on Facebook

Hi!

Much better! Nice work.

That intro solo still bugs me a bit, and needs to be right up the middle for my taste though. My thinking here is there is nothing that balances with it and it throws the mix off centre. I mean in the verses you panned that guitar reverb opposite the guitar to give the mix some balance right? Same sort of thing with the intro solo, I think it will be more balanced if it is centered... Smile.

That panned reverb on the guitar does works really well and adds more stereo interest to the mix. A great solution there. For me the vocal is much better for getting that guitar out the way.

You might possibly want to consider boosting the chorus vocals a touch as for me they start to get a little lost, especially in the second half. In general I'd think you'd want the chorus to stand out a little more than the verses? I think I spotted that there's some odd squeak around 1:17.

That acoustic guitar does sound really nice. I know I've mentioned a few nit picks, but I do like this mix a lot.

Anyway, only passing on my thoughts in case they are of any use.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(30-04-2023, 02:26 PM)mikej Wrote: Again thank you very much for your feedback.
I've been traveling for work and haven't had time to respond.

Yes, I used a delayed reverb with the pans reversed on the base guitar. I thought it created a very interesting ambience in the mix. brought a little more life to it.

About the voices of the chorus, I agree that they were low in relation to the rest of the song. I changed it right after I uploaded the new version, but I went on a trip soon after and ended up not uploading it correctly.

I'm leaving only the last version of the mix, the one I consider the final one in the post.

we're in touch!
@fnanaof on Instagram
@fnanao on Facebook