Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simplemachine Ingloria
(28-04-2023, 01:36 PM)Jambon-beurre Wrote: He clearly know more than us, I mean, hearing The Weeknd modulating his voice on every words over a reused Fugees 90s hit, that HIT so different in 192kHz Dolby Atmos, truly a masterpiece, everything is lost in mp3, or maybe everything was already lost.

Dude just post your mp3 so we can tear it appart.
I'm not sure this helps. Let's keep it civil and friendly. Thanks.
(28-04-2023, 01:38 PM)roy Wrote:
(28-04-2023, 01:36 PM)Jambon-beurre Wrote: He clearly know more than us, I mean, hearing The Weeknd modulating his voice on every words over a reused Fugees 90s hit, that HIT so different in 192kHz Dolby Atmos, truly a masterpiece, everything is lost in mp3, or maybe everything was already lost.

Dude just post your mp3 so we can tear it appart.
I'm not sure this helps. Let's keep it civil and friendly. Thanks.
I think it is, people need to know, hearing Lewis Capaldi in lossless format is really a life changing experience, I didn’t knew it was possible to record a voice like this, there is such a delicate metallic noise involved, you have to go 24bits minimum to correctly hear this kind of purity, particularly during the screaming parts, anything below 96kHz and you’re missing the genius of all the producer and engineer behind such big talents!
Trust me, I do truly understand everyone's point of view here.

The purpose of this forum is of course to discuss mixing, not to discuss audio file formats, and for that purpose 320kbps mp3 is a perfectly adequate compromise for the reasons I already outlined above.

Personally I hope that kombainera will stick around and post up mp3 mixes, and that we can all discuss the mix in our usual constructive and accommodating manner.

I don't think it will be of any value to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of file formats any further in this thread, and I'd appreciate it if we keep the discussion purely to mixing!

Thanks!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Speaking of the mix :

Things i liked :
- Excellent compression of the vocal
- Appropriate "Phone" effect at the intro
- Lush reverb on the piano giving a special atmosphere
- Beautiful reverb on the vocal

Things i wish were different :
- Bass sound could be brighter and less boomy
- Violins volumes or EQ could be adjusted to better blend them into the mix
- The harmony vocal could be higher in volume or EQ

Things i didn't liked :
- Drum sound is too dry, for having mixed this track myself (haven't post it here yet), i know the drum can be improved
- Kick drum is lacking sub "Humpf"
- The vocal seems a bit lost in the mix at the last chorus.

Cheers.
Thanks a lot for the listening and for the coment that is what i am here for ! i did a lot of chain compression to the vocal so i can pin him l2 in 76 n to ssl buss comp into l1 for the ambiens on the vocal i use cla epic but with some twicks here and there on the violins and back vocals i dont spend much time even the guitars are dry my goal was to just to make the vocal but i like overall how it turns so i post it with some more work it can be even better but i am traing this days just to make as much songs i can not going too much in details.Cheers
Yea of course i will post on mp3 from know on like i sayd.I am new here after u post me the rules for upload i read them and my respons was just friendly but i catch a personal attitude to yours and that bug me but since u apologies from my point of view we are good.I am here to learn something becouse i know from experience that in this job u can learn something new every day.I know that its common practice even in mix competitions to be judged from mp3s and good mix is good mix no matter what just one more last comment and i will never mention mp3 anymore.Imagine that in tv station they got your video only if its SD not HD  Smile and this comment is just  in general not for the forum upload rules by any mean.Know after we are clear lets go mixing again ! Smile  cheers.
(24-04-2023, 07:04 PM)kombainera Wrote: hi there this is my version of this full of emotions crazy good song:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NTvl2Rx...share_link
I think it's mostly good, just 3 main suggestions.
I think the vocal compression is good in the intro and verse, but it is getting a bit stifled in the more dynamic parts. I would assume this is cause of some limiting on those parts. I suggest either riding the input level or just letting the vocal get a bit louder at those points.
I would also say the EQ on the strings should be a bit more balanced -- I usually don't even EQ strings in a decent recording -- just make sure they are balanced and not too focused on the upper mids.
Lastly, the drums are fairly dark, and I'd like more emphasis on the transients of the kick and snare.