Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Leaf - Wicked
Boy am I glad to see more new material on here; I'm having a ball catching up. Big Grin

The hardest thing I found with this one was getting the vocal balance right. I had to be a little more aggressive with the EQ on the vocals and, towards the end, also had to push hard on some compression on them to get them to balance the way I wanted. But I'm pretty pleased with the final result.

As usual with brand new mixes I still have the project for this one so if anyone has any suggestions I can try 'em out. Wink

.m4a    132 Wicked 1.m4a --  (Download: 7.5 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
The guitars are a bit loud in the verse and fighting the vox so maybe pan them wider as they are right in the way
of that vocal. They sound good but just placed wrong I think.
Also I think the bv are placed well in the first place and at the end it just sounds odd and they are very loud
and sound out of the mix a bit. Bottom end all sounds ok tho.
(05-05-2014, 01:32 AM)takka360 Wrote: The guitars are a bit loud in the verse and fighting the vox so maybe pan them wider as they are right in the way of that vocal. They sound good but just placed wrong I think.

OK. Done; revised mix attached. Smile

(05-05-2014, 01:32 AM)takka360 Wrote: Also I think the bv are placed well in the first place and at the end it just sounds odd and they are very loud and sound out of the mix a bit.

Yeah, that was the sound I was going for, for them to be loud and jump out at you at the very end as a crescendo. So that I left alone for now.

Thoughts?

.m4a    WickedA.m4a --  (Download: 7.51 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
I still think they are well too loud, they are louder than the chorus guitars.
I understand what you are saying regarding bv at the end but I just think the jump out too much.
Notice how well you can hear the vox in the chorus.
They are still fighting that vocal in the verse.
I agree with takka on the verse guitars. They sound great, but the verse/chorus balance is thrown off a bit.

I like the idea of the backing vocals at the end, your first post the level sound great to me, but on your second post the level has been raised, especially in the right speaker. I not sure what happened there as you said you left them?
Whoops. I actually widened the chorus guitars by mistake, not the verb guitars; I was getting ready for bed and made the change in a rush. Blush

OK. Now I've got the verse guitars widened (and I also tightened up the chorus guitars, essentially swapping their places on "the stage") and I've lowered the verse guitars slightly. I also lowered those backing vocals at the end by a couple dB. Sano: I didn't touch them on the last mix but somehow their balance got thrown off when I altered the panning of the guitars.

So this mix takes all your suggestions (takka360 and sano) into account. Thoughts? Smile

.m4a    WickedB.m4a --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Yes loads better.
I think the revisions got better version by version. In the first one the vocals were nearly inaudible.

IMO the chorused bass guitar is far the most distracting thing in this mix. I actually do this a lot myself too but I try to make sure no one can point it out from the mix (=a sense of bigness in the bass guitar). Here so much of it feels really off, considering the whole arrangement of the song is so sparse with only few odd guitar tracks. If you listen to side signal of this mix you notice it's easily the loudest thing there. Bass guitar loudest in the side is an alarm sign to many.

Other than that I think this sounded nice and easy. Smile
(08-05-2014, 11:36 AM)Spede Wrote: IMO the chorused bass guitar is far the most distracting thing in this mix. I actually do this a lot myself too but I try to make sure no one can point it out from the mix (=a sense of bigness in the bass guitar). Here so much of it feels really off, considering the whole arrangement of the song is so sparse with only few odd guitar tracks. If you listen to side signal of this mix you notice it's easily the loudest thing there. Bass guitar loudest in the side is an alarm sign to many.

OK. I backed it down a notch or two; how's this? Smile

.m4a    WickedC.m4a --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Hi. Here are a few things that I noticed.

The drums, the bass, the guitars have a nice and intimate sound but the vocals sounds to be in a bigger space and in the begin it somehow sounds to be behind the instruments.
Is it on purpose that the snare is panned to left?
The choruses sounds harsh. Like presence boosting that fit to the softer verses are left on during choruses.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.