Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jtbStudio mix
I listened to quite a few other mixes, and the tonality was all over the place, and yes, I had a lot of trouble with mine Sad I'm still not super happy with it, but at some you point, you just have to say "fsck it, it's done" Undecided

Song sections:
  • 0:00 intro
  • 0:22 verse 1
  • 0:47 chorus 1
  • 1:12 verse 2
  • 1:42 chorus 2
  • 2:03 bridge
  • 2:23 break
  • 2:43 chorus 3

The biggest problem I had was with the guitars, and getting something full and big, but without being harsh. The mixes I listened to had quite bright guitars, but I was referencing against "Killing In The Name", "Lithium", and "Almost Real" (Black Flag), which were much warmer and fuller.

My usual trick of adding panned delays causes mono problems, so I did this for individual tracks (Guitars 3 and 5) and panned them 50% left/right, while keeping Guitar 4 in the centre. I also found that just EQ'ing the combined tracks didn't really work, and had to EQ each one individually (Guitar 4, in particular, had a lot of mud sliced out), and then the combined tracks was easier to work with.

I note that a lot of people had panned their guitars left/right, but not accounted for the guitar lines e.g. at the end of the intro, and all 3 choruses, so they were coming out hard-left, which sounded a bit odd.

The lead vocal also presented a lot of problems. The tonality was all over the place, so I added some dynamic EQ to try to tame peaks at around 3.2 kHz. There are also places where the mid-range becomes a bit dominant, but I had got sick of things by that time Undecided Her voice is quite piercing, so it was a challenge to get it cut through the dense choruses, but still getting it to blend, and not rip your ears off during the quieter parts.

I also edited some of the parts. The drums sound like they're being played by the Energizer Bunny during the 1st verse, so I cut that back a lot. Perhaps a bit jazzy for this style, but it helps create contrast with the rest of the song.

I dropped the electric guitar at the start of the bridge, so the singer is almost screaming alone, and is quite dramatic. I also wanted her singing alone at the start of the break, but since I had already done that just prior, I opted for starting the swirling guitars quiet, and fading them up.

The tambourine and reverse cymbal didn't seem to add anything, so I just dropped them, and the drum loop seemed to be different just for the sake of being different, so I mixed it in, but not so much that you can really notice it.

.mp3    Devil\'s Words.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com