Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mix/master Hammer Down
Here is my new version with some small but important changes

.mp3    Hammerdown - Darkride - mix by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

Hi,

I suspect you might have posted your mix in the mastering forum by mistake...

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(19-04-2023, 11:43 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

I suspect you might have posted your mix in the mastering forum by mistake...

Cheers!

I've moved it over to the mixing forum. Smile
Here is my new version with some small but important changes.

More space allowing to find the integrality of all the instruments as well as all the voices

.mp3    Hammerdown- V2-Darkride-Mix by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

Hey,

overall, the Balance is good, but there is way too much roomy verb in this mix, which is ruining the atmosphere for me. Your use of reverb creates a strange "smaller than life" mix, which is completely opposite of what we want to sound like ("larger than life").

If this were a job and you were our mixer, I would ask you to mostly remove the tiny & roomy reverb and focus on making us sound huge and big. This doesn`t mean larger reverb rooms, but the opposite: almost no reverb except on vocals and on the snare. You can use a bright medium / big hall for vocals and a bright plate for the snare, but don`t overdo it. Most people drown their tracks in reverb - don`t be one of them. If you are not sure, always go with less reverb. It´s also a good idea to compare your mix to our reference mix or the mix from Joey Sturgis on this forum to hear the difference and how to use reverb for this genre.

Simple tip 1: You should not be able to clearly hear the reverb unless for special fx moments.
Simple tip 2: Instead of reverb, choose a medium delay for the vocals and use automation to add more or less delay, depending on the situation.

Anyway, you are almost there. Listen to the ref mix or the Sturgis mix, compare and then make the appropriate changes to the reverb. Don`t change anything else unless you absolutely have to due to balancing issues when removing the reverb.
Hey Blitzzz, thanks for taking the time to listen to my mix.

Yes, you're absolutely right, in the old version V2, there is indeed a reverb conflict which also leads to masking effects.
So I took the base of my mix by reviewing everything that is effects. I also took care to "couple" the kick/snare duo well
so as to have a solid rhythmic base which leads the whole title.
So. I think this, without pretension, should do it. But, we can always nitpick, and that's normal, if we are trying to achieve a very specific goal.

Franz

p.s.: I kept a level of - 12.7 Lufs and - 1.85 dbTP so that the different broadcast media do not "plane" the title too much.
Advice to the attention of other members, some of whom mixes are excessively strong, wrongly in my opinion, it is not because
it is rock-metal music that it is imperative (unfortunately) to saturate everything...

.mp3    Hammerdown V3-Mix by Franz-.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

In fact, I reviewed different aspects of my V3 mix that I did a little too quickly...
This new version should bring together all the ingredients to make it something interesting. I hope...

.mp3    Hammerdown V4-Mix by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 11.32 MB)

Hey, the mix still has the same problems as before. It doesn`t sound like the band is playing in the same space, but in different rooms.

Questions:
Did you check your mix with the reference mix to hear the difference? you find it in this thread: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=23427
Do you use the same verb for the vocals on the lead guitars? Because the solos also sound really weird - like someone is playing in a small chamber?

It´s basically the wrong reverb, and on top of that too much of it Smile
Hey !
Okay, I really focused on the original mix. I reset all the effects to zero and I left in a new mix whose spirit would be a live performance, all on stage, so everyone in the same place. Well, all that remains is to listen...

.mp3    Hammerdown V5-Mix by Franz-.mp3 --  (Download: 11.42 MB)