Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redwood: Smoker And The Stoner
Very nice song, has some sad undertone to it, or maybe it's just me. Heard some wonderful mixes in here and noticed something in common, none of the kick sounds like the original one, and it changes the song dramatically. Wonder if the songwriter will approve of the change or as long as it sounds good it's good. I think changing the kick, either using processors or samples, makes the mix sounds more modern. Right now I just stick with whatever I got, but prob will try with a different kick and see. Thanks for the listen.

.mp3    smokerandstoners-trampMIx.mp3 --  (Download: 5.96 MB)

I will say my opinion regarding the kick that it really is the heartbeat of the song. At least in the intro. "we were scared..." It's good that it stood out to you as important.

As far as the mix, I can hear the overall limiting or clipping of the mix and can't really give a focused opinion on the mix itself. Especially when the kick hits. It's a bit hard for me to tell if my issues are with the mix or the 'master' but it looks really leveled so I suspect that some of the artifacts are from trying to get it loud.

The balances feel fine from what I can tell. The two biggest thoughts is I'd pan the tambourine opposite the banjo and it could be a little 'wetter' though not much.

That tom hit near the end of the bridge is weird.

I dunno. I think it could be cool but it needs to breath some more. Focus on the mix, not the master. I've never heard a great mix that I cared about being louder and I've never heard a great master of a bad mix.

Am i being a jerk? I can't tell. I mean well though.