Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H
Bertrand Russell is one of the greatest philosophers of 20th century. One of his exceptional skills was that he was able to change his mind. He was able to disagree with his own previous writings.

When it comes to art, I always try to implement that attitude. For example when I'm practicing mixing I love to do it like a role-playing. With some multitrack I may try to act as if compressor is a source of evil. Next week I may be using compressors and limiters as a coolest sound shaping tools and then I slam them on each and every track.

Sometimes I try to do very bass heavy mixes, sometimes I go towards more midrangy etc. Sometimes I use reference CDs that have so much high-frequency content that it gives me instantly headache. (But hey, that mixer is million selling grammy winning pro, he must know something that I have no idea of. I'm just a local hobbyist from a small town, and I have no plan to be pro in music business)

Still, I always try to do the very best I can with the chosen attitude. Just to learn something new. Sometimes I fail miserably, sometimes I think I had done quite good job.

And of course, when it comes to commenting other's mixes, I always try to give honest objective feelings of that particular moment, then I'm not playing role-plays. Sometimes I may be quite hard with my comments, sometimes I do not dare to say everything I had in my mind, and then I'm not too proud of myself. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.

He that is super pro among us, let him cast the first stone. But I'm afraid that there's none among us, and according to my knowledge no one claims to be a such. But here's still people with great knowledge, great ears and interesting opinions. So commenting must go on, let's share the limited knowledge we have, and each of us must learn to take comments and appreciate them us such. And yes, I don't accept personal attacks at all.

And I don't have more time nor energy to play this stupid Jesus-role. But it still makes me sad to see talented energy to go wasted.

Cheers, Olli

Messages In This Thread
James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by Olli H - 02-05-2014, 09:51 PM
RE: James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by EKN - 02-05-2014, 11:12 PM
RE: James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by pauli - 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by pauli - 07-05-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by pauli - 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by Olli H - 10-05-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: James May: 'Don't Let Go' - Olli H - by pauli - 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM