Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Smoke
Heeeeyoooo
Haven't mixed in a LONG time. This is a nice hard one to get back into things.
Leave any comments if I missed the mark anywhere. 

Or feel free to just say hi!

**Edit**
I took the distortion down to bring back a bit of the dynamics
Also pushed up the acoustic and banjo to replace the high-end energy that was lost in removing the distortion

.mp3    Redwood_SmokerAndTheStoner_M1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.05 MB)

.mp3    Redwood_SmokerAndTheStoner_M1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.05 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Hey.
I have to be honest it feels pretty hot and distorted. After a couple of listens I think the mix is there and is cool but just hitting the mix/mastering way too hard. I think the overall instrument balances work. Maybe less 60hz give or take and more highs/cymbals and aim for less loudness and I think it might be there. I might be wrong and maybe someone else will come along with a different perspective but I hope that helps.
(23-03-2023, 08:55 PM)roy Wrote: Hey.
I have to be honest it feels pretty hot and distorted. After a couple of listens I think the mix is there and is cool but just hitting the mix/mastering way too hard. I think the overall instrument balances work. Maybe less 60hz give or take and more highs/cymbals and aim for less loudness and I think it might be there. I might be wrong and maybe someone else will come along with a different perspective but I hope that helps.
Hey mate, thanks so much for the feedback! I think you may have been right about the distortion. I think it was making things sound a little too hot as you said. I took the distortion down to bring back a bit of the dynamics and also pushed up the acoustic and banjo to replace the high-end energy that was lost in removing the distortion.

I left up both mixes for comparison.
~
Other Mixes
Remove whatever you used on the vocal, in both mix, that doesn't sound right, rework the kick and snare they hit way too hard.
The second mix feels better in terms of distortion. I think the vocal feels ok.

It feels like there's some overall...compressor? or something on the mix that blankets everything.

Don't worry about getting the mix too loud. That's the mastering engineer's job.

It feels like there's a lot of energy in the subs/low end around 60hz that maybe is affecting the end limiting. Or it's just eating up a lot of sonic real estate. Just guessing. Maybe it's the kick and bass low end fighting. I'm not sure.

I'm just speculating but I'd say look at the low end of the mix and make sure it's working. It takes a lot of energy to make that part of the spectrum hearable compared to the high end. That energy might be making the overall mix/mastering compressors work harder. Also, while the mix doesn't feel bright one might try to compensate mix with a lot of low end with a lot of high end or brighter elements like the banjo. I know I do that a lot. And I get that you might know all this already but maybe a new mixer might come across this and get something out of it.

This isn't specific to this mix but in general I'd rather listen to and comment on a good 'quiet', unmastered mix than a loud, bad one. I've very often ruined a mix in that last stage and I wish that point came across on the forum.

Hope that helps.
(24-03-2023, 02:42 PM)roy Wrote: The second mix feels better in terms of distortion. I think the vocal feels ok.

It feels like there's some overall...compressor? or something on the mix that blankets everything.

Don't worry about getting the mix too loud. That's the mastering engineer's job.

It feels like there's a lot of energy in the subs/low end around 60hz that maybe is affecting the end limiting. Or it's just eating up a lot of sonic real estate. Just guessing. Maybe it's the kick and bass low end fighting. I'm not sure.

I'm just speculating but I'd say look at the low end of the mix and make sure it's working. It takes a lot of energy to make that part of the spectrum hearable compared to the high end. That energy might be making the overall mix/mastering compressors work harder. Also, while the mix doesn't feel bright one might try to compensate mix with a lot of low end with a lot of high end or brighter elements like the banjo. I know I do that a lot. And I get that you might know all this already but maybe a new mixer might come across this and get something out of it.

This isn't specific to this mix but in general I'd rather listen to and comment on a good 'quiet', unmastered mix than a loud, bad one. I've very often ruined a mix in that last stage and I wish that point came across on the forum.

Hope that helps.
Yeah good call on all of this mate
~
Other Mixes