Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PepperMix - Cold
Sup guys!

had a easy time mixing this song. drums sounds like were programmed, and the band provided an nice kick & snare samples, witch is vital to get drums to cut through a dense metal mix. as usual, just triggered some snare room samples and the drums were perfect IMO.

guitar tones were really harsh!!! i did what i could with those, but ended up liking the "harshy" result. saturation was best friend in this tone.

vocals are my weak point, but i think those were pretty straightforward. sounds like already compressed, witch is awesome, but had a hard time choosing FX for them, and don't know if i got control over the "esses".

anyhow, your comment will be greatly appreciated, brazilian cheers for y'all!  Big Grin Big Grin

.mp3    Cold.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
Hi Peppermark. Overall I find this to be a great mix. Guitars sound just fine. No harshness to my ears at least. I think you did a great job blending saturation as they sound big and upfront but not harsh. Also, did you use any widening tools on your guitars?
In the break just before the last chorus, I would add more fx to the vocals to give them space so they 'wash in'. This is just a creative point of view though. Again, great job!
(19-03-2023, 12:13 PM)MakisD Wrote: Hi Peppermark. Overall I find this to be a great mix. Guitars sound just fine. No harshness to my ears at least. I think you did a great job blending saturation as they sound big and upfront but not harsh.

Thanks bro!! it was kinda hard to dial that tone so it makes me happy that it doesn't sound harsh to other people.

(19-03-2023, 12:13 PM)MakisD Wrote: Also, did you use any widening tools on your guitars?

yes i did, and imma post screenshots of all the processing.
i do believe i overprocess guitars a bit when it comes to stereo widening, but it doesn't sound that bad TBH.
so in order, i do:
1. different EQ shapes for left and right channels
2. a bit of stereo widener
3. a bit of mid/side EQ on the master bus (in the second screenshot, the first EQ is the MID, and second one is SIDE EQ.)

(19-03-2023, 12:13 PM)MakisD Wrote: In the break just before the last chorus, I would add more fx to the vocals to give them space so they 'wash in'. This is just a creative point of view though. Again, great job!

washier vocals in the end of a song is actually more normal than i usually think, thanks for reminding me. definitely gonna take that as a note for my next mix. thanks!!!!

Thumbnail(s)

Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
(19-03-2023, 01:35 PM)Peppermark Wrote:
(19-03-2023, 12:13 PM)MakisD Wrote: Hi Peppermark. Overall I find this to be a great mix. Guitars sound just fine. No harshness to my ears at least. I think you did a great job blending saturation as they sound big and upfront but not harsh.

Thanks bro!! it was kinda hard to dial that tone so it makes me happy that it doesn't sound harsh to other people.

(19-03-2023, 12:13 PM)MakisD Wrote: Also, did you use any widening tools on your guitars?

yes i did, and imma post screenshots of all the processing.
i do believe i overprocess guitars a bit when it comes to stereo widening, but it doesn't sound that bad TBH.
so in order, i do:
1. different EQ shapes for left and right channels
2. a bit of stereo widener
3. a bit of mid/side EQ on the master bus (in the second screenshot, the first EQ is the MID, and second one is SIDE EQ.)

(19-03-2023, 12:13 PM)MakisD Wrote: In the break just before the last chorus, I would add more fx to the vocals to give them space so they 'wash in'. This is just a creative point of view though. Again, great job!

washier vocals in the end of a song is actually more normal than i usually think, thanks for reminding me. definitely gonna take that as a note for my next mix. thanks!!!!
Regarding guitars and stereo widening. It is not really obvious, that is true. However when guitars play on their own, that is when the stereo widening effect is more audible and noticeable. More specifically in the breakdown part. The way you have done it, it sounds more like an effect rather than stereo treatment, so I can't say that it sounds bad.
Once I overdid it with M/S eq and stereo widening and I really destroyed the guitars haha. This kind of treatment need to come with small moves, because they add up pretty quickly.