Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peppermark - Interlude | Bodach
Had a good time mixing this. Lovely song and recording.

-Bodach

.mp3    pract103.mp3 --  (Download: 16.22 MB)

glad you liked it!!! this song means a lot to me, so that makes me pretty happy i'd say.

i see you're new here at the forum. welcome!!

as for your mix, really good guitar and bass control. since the tracks are well "prepared" for mixing, just putting them in a master limiter or clipper (with some EQ & comp changes) should be enough to make'em sound nice.

anyhow, here's some nitpicks:

- the soul of a good metal mix is the drum sound. if your drum mix is good, the mix is good! but if the drums aren't that great, you'll have a hard time getting a competitive mix (even if all the instruments are well produced). this is exactly the case of your mix, where everything is good but the drums are completely drowned. unfortunately, when i get these type of mixes, the only solution is to star over, but focusing on the drums. here's some stuff i have in mind while mixing drums:
. the objective is to make them LOUD!!! but in metal, everything is loud, so you have to create loudness without loosing transients, witch sounds very hard (cause it is).
. i usually start by cleaning some stuff that "doesn't belong to the drum sound", witch is unnecessary/excessive ringing on the shells and plates and rumbling in the OH and Room tracks. since this drums were programmed, bleed is not an issue here, so i can skip that as well.
. after that i'll start compressing the shells in lots of ways:
1. compress the shells directly
2. parallel compression
3. drum bus compression
4. mix bus compression
5. clipping
*Note: these aren't in order, i just do them as im listening to the tracks and see whats the most important compressor to make it sound good. in some mixes is the parallel compression, in others, the shell compressor, so on and so forth... but i usually do have them all engaged in the end of the mix. lately i've been getting good results slamming my mix a bit harder on the master clipper, so i can turn up the snare pretty loud without losing punch (with limiters, my snare just desapears).
. from here on, ill just EQ the drums in various ways to make cut through the other instruments without overpowering them

- your tons have a bit much of sustain and are pretty loud in the low-end. maybe use a compressor to emphasize the attack and turn it down a bit.

i do believe that if you could work on your drum sound, your mix will be perfect in no time.

thanks!!!
Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
Cheers for your reply! 
I see your point with the drums being unclear. This isn't my usual area of metal, being more towards very natural and even harsh black metal, punchy isn't a usual thing hahah.
I've applied some of the changes to bring the drums forward a bit and tried to stop the bass stepping on the kick.
Enjoy!

.mp3    PeppermarkInterlude_Bodach2.mp3 --  (Download: 16.22 MB)

(17-03-2023, 11:10 PM)Bodach Wrote: I see your point with the drums being unclear. This isn't my usual area of metal, being more towards very natural and even harsh black metal, punchy isn't a usual thing hahah.

oh well, that says everything hahahah

in that case, the first mix was perfect, i should say.

HOWEVER, the second version had a lot more attack from the drums and it fit the genre way better IMO. sounds amazing, cause the tracks don't need that much processing anyways (besides the drum tracks, those are supposed to be as natural as possible so the mixer can do whatever it takes).

the only thing that separates this mix from 9/10 to 10/10 is now the kick. the "strong" hits, are fine, but sometimes the kick gets buried because of the "soft" hits. you can change that by compressing the hell outta the kick and kick samples together. i should say compressing kick does "remove" a bit of low end, so try messing with EQ and clipping (yes, clipping hahah when you clip stuff that has lots of low end, for some reason i can turn up that low end a bit more in the mix).

good job man, thanks for mixing!!
Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh