Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redwood - Smoker And The Stoner
Hi,

My mix.

Cheers!

Update 1.0: Removed snare thing from beginning of first chorus, backed off 300Hz a bit on lead vocal, backed of limiter a bit...
Update 1.1: Put limiter settings back to how I had them...

.mp3    Redwood - Smoker And The Stoner.mp3 --  (Download: 5.78 MB)

.mp3    Redwood - Smoker And The Stoner 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 5.78 MB)

.mp3    Redwood - Smoker And The Stoner 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.78 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Quick listen.Sounds pretty good. The lead vocal feels a little 'boxy' or maybe 'stuffed up'. 300-500hz range. In the chorus, when he opens up it works better.

I honestly think there's no need for that snare leakage or whatever track is at the top of the song. It feels like a mistake and there's a noticeable drop when it goes away.

Other than that everything sounds good. The overall mix could maybe breath a bit more but works as is. Or it could just be me.
(15-03-2023, 08:05 PM)roy Wrote: Quick listen.Sounds pretty good. The lead vocal feels a little 'boxy' or maybe 'stuffed up'. 300-500hz range. In the chorus, when he opens up it works better.

I honestly think there's no need for that snare leakage or whatever track is at the top of the song. It feels like a mistake and there's a noticeable drop when it goes away.

Other than that everything sounds good. The overall mix could maybe breath a bit more but works as is. Or it could just be me.

Hi!

Thanks for the listen.

Regarding the vocal - I prefer the term 'warm' rather than 'boxy' Tongue. That snare sound does actually come from the snare mic. I did try it without, and decided to put it back as it was present in the preview mix so I took it that it was supposed to be in there. Not quite sure exactly what that sound is though as the sound is different from the main snare hits. Different sticks, something put on the snare, or just the snare bouncing and resonating from the tom hits or so?

Yeah I guess I did make the mix a bit too hot on the limiter.

Added update 1.0: Removed snare thing from beginning of first chorus, backed off 300Hz a bit on lead vocal, backed of limiter a bit.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Re: 1.0. I think the lead vocal is better and I think the intro is cleaner. This new mix feels a bit thinner which I don't think it just down to the vocal. Maybe it's due to backing off the limiter? Which, if that's the case I'd err on the original settings. Maybe it's was too hot but maybe it added some thickness and aggression the song could use. It's an overall thing. I like the individual instruments and where they're at.

Hopefully you'll get another opinion for better perspective.
Well, I've just added mix 1.1 with the original limiter settings so you can take your pick Smile.

Cheers!
(16-03-2023, 10:26 PM)mikej Wrote: Well, I've just added mix 1.1 with the original limiter settings so you can take your pick Smile.

Cheers!
Yeah, I don't know what to think as an engineer, but there's a teenage part of me that prefers that. Ultimately, I feel like that's the right ear to aim for.