Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peppermark - Interlude (Hein-Ivan Mix)
A good production and fun to mix. Thanks for listening and any comments. Cheers!

.mp3    Peppermark - Interlude (Hein-Ivan Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 16.18 MB)

thanks for taking your time on my track!!!

as for the mix:

- really clean mix, separation is absolutely perfect, since i could hear every single detail of every instrument. nicely done! unfortunately, one byproduct of separation in metal mixes is lack of energy, since metal is "supposed to be" very, VERY energetic and loud. for that, i do have some suggestions if you want to try it out:
. make one group for the snare and snare sample and process them both on that track. after that, compress this new snare group track with an medium attack (15-25ms) and fast release (80 to 100ms) and 4:1 ratio until you hear the high end of the snare sound as a whole a bit more tight. that will allow you to boost 8k and above without sounding "boxy"
. do the same for the kick and kick sample (1 & 2), but this time, try an slower attack (around 30+ms) and experiment carving out some 100-300 Hrtz CAREFULLY so the kick gets a bit cleaner, without losing any punch
. parallel compression!! that's the key to get really energetic drums. in my mix, i do use fast attack parallel compression, but there're people who use slow attack parallel compression. choosing witch one is personal, but both have up's & down's.

- missing a bit of click from the kick track. try to use more of that second kick sample.

- sometimes the bass gets muted, thats because the DI is out of phase with the "bass clean" track. use the DI only of you want to create a whole new bass tone (but be aware you will need some automation). other than that, just mute it and try to get your bass tone with the "bass clean" and "bass grit" track.

- to make your mix louder and punchier, use a clipper aggressively. don't be shy about it, just make sure it doesn't clip (usually instruments with lots of low-end content will make it clip first)

- maybe turn the orchestral instruments down a bit, and automate the rhythm guitar volume to be lower on the "boom" part

- maybe delete the all the guitar DI's, and turn up the solo guitars around 2dB (if you to it with dynamic EQ, limiter or both, the result will be a bit better, i should say hehe)

glad you liked the production!!
Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
(14-03-2023, 08:16 PM)Peppermark Wrote: thanks for taking your time on my track!!!

as for the mix:

- really clean mix, separation is absolutely perfect, since i could hear every single detail of every instrument. nicely done! unfortunately, one byproduct of separation in metal mixes is lack of energy, since metal is "supposed to be" very, VERY energetic and loud. for that, i do have some suggestions if you want to try it out:
  . make one group for the snare and snare sample and process them both on that track. after that, compress this new snare group track with an medium attack (15-25ms) and fast release (80 to 100ms) and 4:1 ratio until you hear the high end of the snare sound as a whole a bit more tight. that will allow you to boost 8k and above without sounding "boxy"
  . do the same for the kick and kick sample (1 & 2), but this time, try an slower attack (around 30+ms) and experiment carving out some 100-300 Hrtz CAREFULLY so the kick gets a bit cleaner, without losing any punch
  . parallel compression!! that's the key to get really energetic drums. in my mix, i do use fast attack parallel compression, but there're people who use slow attack parallel compression. choosing witch one is personal, but both have up's & down's.

- missing a bit of click from the kick track. try to use more of that second kick sample.

- sometimes the bass gets muted, thats because the DI is out of phase with the "bass clean" track. use the DI only of you want to create a whole new bass tone (but be aware you will need some automation). other than that, just mute it and try to get your bass tone with the "bass clean" and "bass grit" track.

- to make your mix louder and punchier, use a clipper aggressively. don't be shy about it, just make sure it doesn't clip (usually instruments with lots of low-end content will make it clip first)

- maybe turn the orchestral instruments down a bit, and automate the rhythm guitar volume to be lower on the "boom" part

- maybe delete the all the guitar DI's, and turn up the solo guitars around 2dB (if you to it with dynamic EQ, limiter or both, the result will be a bit better, i should say hehe)

glad you liked the production!!
Hi Peppermark! Many thanks for the detailed comments and also for providing the Multitracks. I probably will do another mix later on and try to incorporate your suggestions. Cheers!