Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interlude
Hi everyone! Just finished with this mix. The intro reminded me Periphery a lot, especially their latest work so I felt excited to mix the song.

I was really happy that the guitar DIs where provided so I went with my own guitar sounds. I used amp sims from ML Soundlab (Icon, Flagship) and Plugin Alliance (Rockergain 100) with the main sound coming from the Icon which is based on the EVH Iconic amplifier. Also for the cleaner-crunchy guitars I used a jcm800 free plugin from Mercurial and Shibalba plugin from Audio Assault, based on a Bogner Shiva.

I did not use the bassAmp track as the low end was way to much distorted for my liking and I felt it wouldn't help with the bass sound. So I kept the bass DI and the one that had mostly high end bass tone and blend those two.

I used a lot of compression. Basically on every element but the drums and bass were the heavily compressed ones. Cliping the drums and the mix bus also helped a lot to bring out the punch.

The song doesn't need any mastering as I have done that myself.

Please enjoy and leave a comment! Cool

.mp3    Pappermark_Interlude_MIX_FINAL.mp3 --  (Download: 16.18 MB)

I like your guitar tones. BAlances are not bad but there is a ton of boomy frequencies in there somewhere. Not sure if it's bass and kick with guitar togethers.. or just bass and kick. This is overpowering the rest of the balance in the mix. Good take though!
(12-03-2023, 07:31 AM)Shul Wrote: I like your guitar tones. BAlances are not bad but there is a ton of boomy frequencies in there somewhere. Not sure if it's bass and kick with guitar togethers.. or just bass and kick. This is overpowering the rest of the balance in the mix. Good take though!
Hey Shul, thanks for the feedback. Regarding the boomy frequencies, it could be the guitars to be honest. Maybe I could take out some bass and low-mid frequencies to clear up things.
Hey! I like kick and bass in your mix, that nice mix, but it seemed to me that some instruments "in the background" lack clarity
oh well, we got a peripheral over here!! that's awesome, cause i'm one as well heheh

so honored you used my DI tracks. hope you dind't find any problem on re-amping then.

as for the mixing, here are some stuff to make your mix even better:

- as the comments above suggests, there's something going on in the low-end, but i'd say its in the Sub area (0-100 hrtz). maybe take a closer look on that.

- i myself did some automation on the guitar tracks when recording it, and that i think that would help your mix as well:
. after the second chorus, theres a part where some "clean" gtrs are playing. those are supposed to be crunchy, but pretty low-gain. on that same part, try turning down the gain on the rhythm tone as well.
. on the build up, try to turn down the gain on the quad gtrs, thsi way it will make it better for volume balancing.

- i see your tones are great (and thank you for that), but try turning the guitars tracks down a bit (1-2dB) and make the orchestral stuff shine through a bit more. (guitars in this part follow the drums instead of the drums following the guitars, so even if guitars are quieter, you still will be able to hear those)

- the "octave gtrs" are literally rhythm gtr tracks with a pitch shifter, an they're supposed to be the bass "doubler", so the part where the guitars are more melodic, these tracks would "fill the blanks" in the mix and make it more energetic. just plug in any pitch shifter on yours and you're good to go on.

- snare sounds good, but missing a bit of snare room. i provided an track with that specific volume (jsut as nolly does on his mixes), so maybe turn it up and send more to the paralell bus comp.

thanks!!!
Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
(13-03-2023, 02:29 PM)Peppermark Wrote: oh well, we got a peripheral over here!! that's awesome, cause i'm one as well heheh

so honored you used my DI tracks. hope you dind't find any problem on re-amping then.

as for the mixing, here are some stuff to make your mix even better:

- as the comments above suggests, there's something going on in the low-end, but i'd say its in the Sub area (0-100 hrtz). maybe take a closer look on that.

- i myself did some automation on the guitar tracks when recording it, and that i think that would help your mix as well:
  . after the second chorus, theres a part where some "clean" gtrs are playing. those are supposed to be crunchy, but pretty low-gain. on that same part, try turning down the gain on the rhythm tone as well.
  . on the build up, try to turn down the gain on the quad gtrs, thsi way it will make it better for volume balancing.

- i see your tones are great (and thank you for that), but try turning the guitars tracks down a bit (1-2dB) and make the orchestral stuff shine through a bit more. (guitars in this part follow the drums instead of the drums following the guitars, so even if guitars are quieter, you still will be able to hear those)

- the "octave gtrs" are literally rhythm gtr tracks with a pitch shifter, an they're supposed to be the bass "doubler", so the part where the guitars are more melodic, these tracks would "fill the blanks" in the mix and make it more energetic. just plug in any pitch shifter on yours and you're good to go on.

- snare sounds good, but missing a bit of snare room. i provided an track with that specific volume (jsut as nolly does on his mixes), so maybe turn it up and send more to the paralell bus comp.

thanks!!!
Peppermark, thanks a lot for your feedback and your tips. It's good to know what the creator of the songs was thinking while producing and mixing them . This is something that is lacking in the forum because you know, we don't mix with the actual creator in the room hah. Cheers and thanks again.
This is a perfectly acceptable mix. Great quality of the metal guitars (despite disturbing resonances throughout all the guitars and bass),
very good OH, excellent backing vocals but the whole thing is somewhat disjointed at times.
In this sense, there is a huge lack of "details" such as the interventions like reverse, gun, bells, etc... The kick and snare duo seems a little soft
and the snare is really upfront and too weak. Everything deserves a little more shine. You should get there...
(15-03-2023, 04:50 PM)Franz Wrote: This is a perfectly acceptable mix. Great quality of the metal guitars (despite disturbing resonances throughout all the guitars and bass),
very good OH, excellent backing vocals but the whole thing is somewhat disjointed at times.
In this sense, there is a huge lack of "details" such as the interventions like reverse, gun, bells, etc... The kick and snare duo seems a little soft
and the snare is really upfront and too weak. Everything deserves a little more shine. You should get there...
Hi Franz, I think your commnet was ment for another mix, as there are no backing vocals in this song. Actually there are no vocals at all haha.
Angry sorry....
(19-03-2023, 01:12 AM)Franz Wrote: Angry sorry....
No problem man.