Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont let go - Voelund
Been doin necessary things for quite awhile now, checkin in occassionally and today I had some hours I choose to use for findin my audio skills, or lack of same, and had a go on this lovely song by james May.
I did very little, went for a clear but not too bright sound, and its an almost static mix.
I doubled the vocal in chorus gently where it fitted and added a quarter note delay to voice and more audible to guitar 2 and solo guitar.
Also had my ususal slap delay on vocal, 175ms very low, I like that on a vocal.
This song is all about mood and expression, not about showing skills, at least thats what i think, so I made the dynamics speak for themselves, its well recorded and played and I didnt feel the need to "master" it, it hits like -1.8 dB in loudest peak so you may have to turn it up ...

Hope you are all doin well and I hope I will find the time to mox soon again, I really missed that.

Niels

.mp3    Dont let go 01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.24 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I like your mix, very nicely done. You downplayed the congas which think is quite effective.

James May
Glad you like it. I have yet to hear a song of yours I dont like and thx for the opportunity to mix these soul and thoughtfull well recorded songs
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
beautiful mix, Niels. It's been a pleasure to listen to another James May's song with such a beautiful treatment.
mixing since April 2013
Hi Juan - thank you. Its another great song of James' and a pleasure to mix, you should try !
I will as soon as I finish the one I'm working on now. Glad to see you back here Smile
mixing since April 2013
Great mix as we have discussed already.
Good to see you back.
Really nice!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Very good to my ears. I like the retro feel of this mix.

Vocals has very warm and smooth sound. I think it fits very well with the mood of this song. But is it too smooth. It might benefit with of some added old time crispness around 2-4 k area. Or not?

I liked the doubled vocals.

At 1:10 when another guitar comes in, it feels little like it's coming from modern period. I felt it slightly distracting from that very coherent and pleasing retro sound that you had in the beginning.

But overall I liked it very much. I used it as one of my references or checking points.
Well, whenever I see something in here by you, Voelund, I know I'm in for a treat.

And I was. Big Grin

Y'know, when I first heard that reverb on the vocal I didn't think I'd like it, but once I started to hear it immersed in the song I realized I was wrong; it works beautifully here. It has that classic 60s/70s feel that's so nostalgic for me in my childhood. And I agree with Olli H about the doubled vocals; nice! One irony. I'm usually the guy who goes subtle on the reverbs, but here you're the one who did the subtle reverb thing while in my mix (which you'll find posted here if you want to give it a listen) I went for big, open reverbs. Just goes to show how a given project can often draw a mixer in a direction he or she doesn't ordinarily go. Wink

About the only quibbles I have are the acoustic guitar on the left is a little on the loud side, and there are a series of distracting clicks at the end during the final fade out.

Aside from normalizing it so the loudest peak hits 0 dBFS, I would keep it "unmastered;" it sounds beautiful just the way it is. Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince