Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunshine by Franz
Royally served on the number of tracks ! 
So here is my mix. All your comments are welcome...

.mp3    Jeff Hirata - SUNSHINE - mix by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

Hi Franz. Some comments: I like how the accoustic guitars are voiced in the mix, and the 3D spacing of some elements is really nice. But I thought overall the mix was too much midrange-y, with too much saturation or distortion (whether caused by clipping or something else, I don't know) which made some parts really harsh (at least on my system here). I also think there's some instability in how some parts are sounding in the mix (maybe some masking going on?). And in moments, it feels like the mix was squashed to death by a limiter or compressor.
Hey goosbe ! First of all thank you for taking the time to listen to my mix.
Yes, the general idea was to give depth to the title. A bit the opposite of many mixes in which everything is too "in your face".
It is a question of choice and taste that I absolutely do not discuss. I understand what you're explaining: I admit that I went there
at a very high level (-9.3 dBLUFS) but in the end I used a compressor pushed to its limits to try to keep a "sensation of power"
with the psychoacoustic effect of a possible impression of distortion at certain times. This approach is mainly due to the fact that
I tested my mix on a whole bunch of equipment, going through the worst: computer screen speakers, smartphones, listening in the car
and others in order to that my mix is a maximum "compatible" So I don't know if my choice of mix is really judicious...
I don't quite understand what you mean by "instability" and what the masking effects would be.

I talk about your mix in your post.
I noticed loudness instability is some elements, for instance hihats (or it might be some other cymbal - I'm not a drummer), where it's presence is not even in the mix. Sometimes that might be what you want when other elements are fighting for your attention, but in this case it was a bit too evident.