Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Hirata: 'Sunshine'
Fun and challenging song to mix (considering the amount of tracks). Didn't like the "fixed" sound on sound mix at all, but that's personal preference I guess. Let's see how this compares to the others... some are really good. Stuff I might still do differently: the presence of the electric guitars (it might be a bit much for some), and getting a better grip on those pesky steel drums.

.mp3    JeffHirata_Sunshine_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.06 MB)

I listened to your mix on different sound systems. It's a very good mix. Everything is well balanced and you especially
avoided putting the voice "in your face" or "up front"...I really like this voice.
If I had to nitpick on one point, it would be about the snare. You resolutely chose the "smack" option. OK. But it "covers"
the real playing of the drummer who makes "rolls" with "ghost notes" that you don't really hear in your mix.
Question of taste that I will not discuss and on this subject I do not really like the mix of "Sound on Sound" which
surprised me at the first listening with an unpleasant sensation of distortion (the mix is at a level in dB very high).
Wow, thanks a lot. And you're right, the smack-option on the snare was deliberate.  There is already so much going on in the mix I made the active choice to subdue some subtleties. But it's like you said, it's a lot about preference.
Hi Goossbe,
You did a good job on the vocal and BGV tracks, I really like your choices.

In my opinion the drum sound in geenral is too compressed, try using multiple parallel treatments instead of inserts.

Try to improve the panning and balance between acc gtr and electric gtr it's ncessary more feeling between this tracks.
I would a bit lower the reverb line, they seem too present and more depth should be given to the mix.....it would be a good trick to use a stereo multiband enhancer in the master line.
Cheers,
COX
COX-Lab
email to : [email protected]
Nola (Napoli) Italy