Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Lighter - BRNT Mix
Nice song.

.mp3    Little Lighter Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.99 MB)

It feels a bit safe. Maybe it's a little dynamically flat? I just gave it a bit of a quick listen and there was nothing that bothered me but it could be a little more...inspiring? Seductive? It feels very technical. If that makes any sense.
It needs way more horns. That I do know.
Thanks for your feedback.
I think I get a vague idea of what you mean but I'm not too sure about specifics. I do tend to mix with a somewhat clear and more upper-mid-forward and bright tone as that's generally just my preference for a mix. Maybe this song would benefit more from a slightly warmer and mellower mix, but I'd definitely rather have clean and bright-ish mix than risk overdoing it with the warmth and the bass and getting a slightly bottom-heavy and muddy mix if you get what I mean.
About the horns, the volume was a conscious decision. I experimented with making them more prominent but it wasn't to my taste and I decided to have them how they are as I preferred them as supporting instrumentation rather than being in the front of the mix.
Fair enough. I don't have any tonal issues with the mix. I do think it could use more excitement and life overall. All things that are hard to convey, in the end. On re-listen, if I turn it up I get a bit more energy from the song. I suppose that's a given. I wish that came across at a more casual listening level.

And I get that we disagree on the horns. I feel like, especially on the chorus, they should be a bit more bombastic. Personally, I think horns should probably be a bit more bombastic.

I think we may have different visions for the song. To me it feels like a mix for mixers and I feel like is should be a mix for the girl (or whoever) in the front row. I get that's impossible for me to articulate.
I was going to say that I think the energy comes through decently well once you crank up the volume, yeah. I think you're right about the lack of energy at lower listening volumes and the horns may have something to do with that. I think they sound a bit too out of the way at lower volumes, and start to liven up a bit when you crank it up. Perhaps they just need a small boost to find a 'middle ground'?

I think I get what you mean about thinking it should be a song 'for the girl'. It would probably benefit from a more mellow and 'sultry' sound profile and I'll try to keep that in mind next time I mix something with a similar vibe.
Again, thanks for your feedback.
It's a hard thing for mr convey. I don't think it's a frequency or tone thing but that's not to say that maybe dealt with through eq.

To me, and this is just a me thing, horns have this intrinsic loudness and power to them. They're never quiet, really. They're louder than a conversation. So, for me, they have to convey that. They give some reference to the overall fake volume of a mix.

If we have to get abstract, I'm not feeling this mix has to get sultry. I'm getting more the impression that this singer has the whole band around him for one purpose, to get that person in the from row to fall for him. It's an imploring song and everything behind the singer is just plumage. It should be engaging and moving. I think the parts are there and the tones you've presented are there. I just think that maybe there are some arrangement mix choices that can enhance that feeling. Maybe he horns could come up and add to that. Maybe the blend of the horns could be changed. (Don't worry if the horn section doesn't like the blend The horn section will never be happy.) I dunno.

I apologize if this is confusing. I just tend more to the emotional impact of a mix. It's a good mix. I have no issues really. I think it could go to another level is all.

Or I'm just way off. Hopefully someone else will come along and have a different input.

Ok, I'mma go watch Eastenders now.

Ta,
roy
In retrospect I should apologize a bit. I've downloaded the multitracks and messed with it a bit and I think what bothers me is an arrangement issue as much as anything else.I would really benefit from a sax to fill out the horn section. The song needs something that might not be there.