Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Judders
I thought this was kind of a genius arrangement.  Everything you need for a pop song but cut back to the absolute minimum.
I over de-essed the vocals, and there's a crackle in the backing vocals at the end, I'll go back and fix them at some point if I have time.  Other than that I'm pretty happy how it came out, even though the balances are a bit different to the library mix.  The hi-hats jumping up and down in volume with the bus compression kinda did my head in, but maybe it's a genre-specific effect?  I don't know.  I mixed this like hip-hop meets punk, because that's how the music hit me.

.mp3    Phantom_Judders.mp3 --  (Download: 10.89 MB)

(14-02-2023, 01:01 AM)Judders Wrote: I thought this was kind of a genius arrangement.  Everything you need for a pop song but cut back to the absolute minimum.
I over de-essed the vocals, and there's a crackle in the backing vocals at the end, I'll go back and fix them at some point if I have time.  Other than that I'm pretty happy how it came out, even though the balances are a bit different to the library mix.  The hi-hats jumping up and down in volume with the bus compression kinda did my head in, but maybe it's a genre-specific effect?  I don't know.  I mixed this like hip-hop meets punk, because that's how the music hit me.
Hi Judders! I think you have done a good mix here, but for me the kick is a bit too boxy sounding for my taste and also it feels like the background vocals need to be a bit louder in the mix. Anyway a good listen. Cheers!
Thanks for the comment!

Yeah, the bass drum boxiness was due to a last minute decision to reduce bass on the drum bus. I should have changed it on the bass drum channel itself so I could rebalance the mids as well.

Interesting the background vocals are too quiet for you. I turned them up quite a bit at the end too. Maybe I should have been more brave with the fader!