Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Alexander - Tears In The Rain
Nice Tracks!
Cool
First Pass: 02/07/2023

2nd Pass: 02/09/2023  "a" track.

.mp3    MixProj_TearsInTheRain.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    MixProj_TearsInTheRain_a.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Listened only on my Sennheiser HD600 headphones to this.
I really enjoyed the tonality of your instruments on this track along with the use of panning in the guitars. I do however think the kick is a bit weighty. You have nice clear tones yet smooth. Very nice IMHO.
Also, when each of the first 3 guitars comes in they are louder than the previous. I'm guessing this is your intention in wanting to draw the ear to them. I do find when the second guitar comes in at the beginning that I'm "startled" by it due to the more subdued fully left first guitar. I might suggest reducing the level differences between them a bit, and or throwing a minimal short delay fully right with the first guitar to reduce the "startling" effect I get when that second guitar comes in. I'm guessing on speakers this may not be an issue...or maybe it's just me, so hopefully others will comment.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
(08-02-2023, 04:52 AM)Drummer Craig Wrote: Listened only on my Sennheiser HD600 headphones to this.
I really enjoyed the tonality of your instruments on this track along with the use of panning in the guitars. I do however think the kick is a bit weighty. You have nice clear tones yet smooth. Very nice IMHO.
Also, when each of the first 3 guitars comes in they are louder than the previous. I'm guessing this is your intention in wanting to draw the ear to them. I do find when the second guitar comes in at the beginning that I'm "startled" by it due to the more subdued fully left first guitar. I might suggest reducing the level differences between them a bit, and or throwing a minimal short delay fully right with the first guitar to reduce the "startling" effect I get when that second guitar comes in. I'm guessing on speakers this may not be an issue...or maybe it's just me, so hopefully others will comment.

Hi Drummer Craig,  Very cool and insightful comments. Not sure if you ever got on your HS8's with the HS10 or not. I just have the 8's without the sub and try to "visually" throw in an HP rolloff to watch out for excessive thunder sneaking below the surface which doesn't  really come out with the HS8's so much. I did some FOH stuff as well for a while and also some analog  24 track 2" tape studio work back in the day. I was fortunate enough while working with my sister to have co-engineered Bobby Caldwell's: "What You Won't Do For Love"  - which did pretty well.

Regarding this tune: I also found that second guitar entrance a bit on the loud side. On my first passes, I generally just go for sound and then try to find some nominal level to place an instrument where it "kinda works" level-wise throughout the track. That is to say there is typically zero-automation on my first passes - and sometimes for many passes. I usually note: "no automation" when I post but didn't this time. I'd have to go back and listen but I'm guessing that track might be OK in most of the tune - though, without checking right now...might be too loud everywhere ;-p.

Again, very cool and thoughtful comments. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

-NT-
How awesome. I am a big 70's music fan and liked that song...so neat that you co-engineered it! I need you to comment on my stuff, not the other way around...lol...although I only have one "new" mix since returning to the forum (feel free to comment on Rev 1). I have been moving my home studio to a different room in the house and am nearing the finish line. I got the first set of Yamaha's HS80...before they discontinued them for their newer model HS8's. I would suspect they are very similar. The sub I'm using to improve a room null and it certainly improved that area. I've got my cloud to hang and then finish working on my corner bass traps. I'll give a listen to your mix when I'm done and share my thoughts if you would like me too. I'm very thankful for this forum and people like yourself that are wanting/willing to help each other improve our mixes and listening skills.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer