Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Song! My Mix.
Please leave feedback

.mp3    Leslie and Steve - The Hardest Part .mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

I do appreciate your creativity and trying something very unconventional in the vocal placement. I seem to recall an older song that had the lead vocal panned but cannot remember the name. I was initially thinking "These Eyes" by the The Guess Who but that has instruments panned (even Kick on left and Snare on right)...talk about unconventional!
All that to say, for me, unless it is for effect I have been "conditioned" too long and expect the lead vocals to be centered. Your panning may work better if you can address the voices becoming too distant when collapsed to mono. This would take some rebalancing of the reverb levels etc.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
I don't mind the panned vocal but I'm not sure if doing so adds anything. It seems to work just fine after a brief listen in mono. I do find the vocal a bit sibilant for my taste. Other than that it seems fine.

There have been plenty of songs with the vocals hard panned. Especially in the 60s and early 70s when stereo was nascent. Purple Haze immediately jumps to mind. Though there are some examples where a stereo mix or submix was intended to be mono but got accidentally panned at a later date. That's worded poorly but you get the idea.