Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full
Theres my mix
mastered
LUFS -9
Sonarworks as referende audio

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

After analise the first mix i relalise somthing not right, i back at de daw again and try to fix the mix.
theres the correction.

.mp3    RE AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

.mp3    RE AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full V2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

Hi PO,
Sorry it turned out to be a book. I hope it helps you.

Listen to Peppermarks mix. Your cymbals sound phasey, that could be they are out of phase or they just suck. I can't remember but I will go back and post my mix of it soon.

If they suck then I can tell you what Peppermark did which will help your mixing, stayed tuned.....

I am an old guy and mixing back in my day was easier because you got tracks that were recorded right.

Today they are not recorded right because of two factors. One technology; No budget anymore for the record company so since the engineers aren't making much they get the placement right but don't spend much time on tuning, picking the right snare head and or snare drum for the record to mention a few things.
If you go to puremix and grab Daughtry's tracks it's not Over you will see the drums don't sound like the record.

Two, it is affordable to record with your computer so Musicians are recording it not Engineers so you get tracks that are not as desirable.

So now you fix it not just mix it which before we would just send the tracks back and say record it again if that happened.

So what you need is to replace via not enhance with many of these drums. Usually replace the snare and sometimes you may get toms that are able to be enhanced.

Most of these Overheads suck as well so you are going to have to use an overhead sample for the Snare sometimes, other drums not so much.

When the cymbals are unusable, I would trash the rooms and only enhance the overheads with manually putting in cymbals from a drum software. That is half the battle right there via drums. You then might have to make some fake room mics at that point. Check out Slate tutorials for more on that.

Now this is something you would charge extra for but most people get the cymbals decent however, they think they have to use the Overheads for cymbals only and that is wrong. You need the snare in those mics as all the mics, including toms sometimes, to make the snare sound great. so gating your toms fully is not always the answer.

Guitars if they have a DI ,which many have, use the DI to re-amp with a SIM.

If the bass just does not give you the full body like I believe this one may not, then I use ezbass to replace.

This is more work than anyone probably would want to pay for so they would probably just redo but if you are trying to make a good demo to get business, this is what you have to do.

It won't be as hard when you actually do it because you can work with people.
I gave V2 in the second post a quick listen since it was the latest mix. Sorry if that wasn't the best one to listen to. My gut reaction is that you're trying to do to much to the song. Every element seems to have some amount of obvious processing. And it doesn't feel necessary. There is a lot of mix compression and pumping. It feels like you're mixing as oppose to presenting the song. I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

I don't really know the song. I've downloaded the multitracks to get an idea and the elements are there. You (yes you specifically) can definitely make a good song out of this.

I do want to take a second to reply to Markpianist's points.

I will start by saying, I'm an old guy too and I'd pray to Jupiter for tracks that were recorded right. I'd be happy if there were tones on the tape to align to. I know I had to work with a lot of junk. It was and will always be the case.

There's then a lot of pontificating unrelated to the mix. That we can set aside. There's a lot of "what if's" that I don't think really applies to this mix. And, I'm not sure how POElectronicBox can use this info to making this mix better.
I'm not even sure these are real drums based on a cursory listen. Again, I've just taken a quick glance at the multitracks and there are certainly issues. If we're playing the 'old guy' card these would be issues we'd shrug and get to mixing and doing the best we can under the clock. I'll admit I've generally dealt with much shallower pockets.

I say with all positive honesty that I am looking forward to MP's mix and getting a better perspective on what could be done with these tracks. It's a point they said that I will certainly agree with. Quote: "Listen to Peppermarks mix." Listen to everyone's mix. Ground yourself with some reference and perspective.

To sum it up and not to lose focus on this post, POElectronicBox you might be trying a bit too hard with this one. And I get it. It kind of asks for that. But you can pull back a little (a lot) and get a more solid 'band' mix and then you can build it from there.

I hope that makes sense.

I will start by saying, I'm an old guy too and I'd pray to Jupiter for tracks that were recorded right. I'd be happy if there were tones on the tape to align to. I know I had to work with a lot of junk. It was and will always be the case.

There's then a lot of pontificating unrelated to the mix. That we can set aside. There's a lot of "what if's" that I don't think really applies to this mix. And, I'm not sure how POElectronicBox can use this info to making this mix better.
I'm not even sure these are real drums based on a cursory listen. Again, I've just taken a quick glance at the multitracks and there are certainly issues. If we're playing the 'old guy' card these would be issues we'd shrug and get to mixing and doing the best we can under the clock. I'll admit I've generally dealt with much shallower pockets.

I say with all positive honesty that I am looking forward to MP's mix and getting a better perspective on what could be done with these tracks. It's a point they said that I will certainly agree with. Quote: "Listen to Peppermarks mix." Listen to everyone's mix. Ground yourself with some reference and perspective.

Hey Roy you are absolutely right, I was not telling him what to do with this mix because I did not have the tracks in front of me but I know many of the drums are really not the best in most of these multitracks here and other places.

I was just telling what some of the options are.

When things don't sound right people try to make more snap on the snare with compression or a transient designer and add more eq as one example. Which makes it worse.

Then if you are mixing through a bus compressor and forget to check then it gets even more horrible.

So what I am saying is just listen and determine whether the sound is usable.

I expected a certain amount of quality back in the day , so there was no way I was going to fix it in the mix and give them something less than record quality.

Some things just had to be fixed in the  recording end IMO

These days samples are used even if the tracks are recorded well because engineers don't take the time to tune exactly or try different snares and so on as you know. It's not in the budget anymore.

Samples are used. I bought into puremix years ago to see how Chris was mixing Daughtry and just as I mentioned he used very little of the original snare, just mainly the samples blending in the original.

So yeah, I did not really say anything specific.

Moral of the story is listen and determine if the recording is usable then go in from there so you don't over process.

I think in this song, although I could be wrong, it was real drums. I remember them being horrible and that's not usually the case with drum software or samples.

Take care.
(06-04-2023, 05:03 PM)Markpianist Wrote: Hi PO,
Sorry it turned out to be a book. I hope it helps you.

Listen to Peppermarks mix. Your cymbals sound phasey, that could be they are out of phase or they just suck. I can't remember but I will go back and post my mix of it soon.

If they suck then I can tell you what Peppermark did which will help your mixing, stayed tuned............................................................

Thank you very much for analyzing my mix, but I'm not sure if this is for this mix or for the mix of Peppermarks 

Best regards 
(06-04-2023, 11:31 PM)roy Wrote: I gave V2 in the second post a quick listen since it was the latest mix. Sorry if that wasn't the best one to listen to. My gut reaction is that you're trying to do to much to the song. Every element seems to have some amount of obvious processing. And it doesn't feel necessary. There is a lot of mix compression and pumping. It feels like you're mixing as oppose to presenting the song. I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

I don't really know the song. I've downloaded the multitracks to get an idea and the elements are there. You (yes you specifically) can definitely make a good song out of this.

To sum it up and not to lose focus on this post, POElectronicBox you might be trying a bit too hard with this one. And I get it. It kind of asks for that. But you can pull back a little (a lot) and get a more solid 'band' mix and then you can build it from there.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the analysis, really this mix wasn't easy, however I'm going to go back to the DAW again and start all over again. In the last few months I've been using other techniques and new plugins and let's see if I get better results.

Best regards