Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PHK Mix: Ripe - Little Lighter
Hi. My try using Cubase LE AI 11, basic plugins, no samples, no automations. Cheers.

Update: Version 2 with some changes in the bass and synth bass

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - MIX by PHK.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - MIX by PHK V2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

It sounds very nice!
There were/are a few things that stood out to me. With the bass guitar playing in the higher register like it does, I found myself wanting more definition/attack/clarity in the notes. Since it also isn't delivering any real low frequency power, when the synth bass (or whatever it is) comes in during the choruses, it's low end power sticks out to me a bit much. You have it very well controlled, it just seems to be a bit much in the context of the whole song when it is not playing. I would either try to give the bass guitar a bit of that low energy thorough out or reign in the synth low end a tad. The only other thing is the kick before the first chorus. There are a couple of points where it hits 32nd notes (I believe) and you can hear/feel some real low frequency "escape" during those parts...so it ends up sounding different than the kick does the rest of the time. I don't recall if it does it elsewhere in the song.
After hearing your mix, I then listened to the posted one. There really is no comparison IMHO...I much prefer yours. Great job.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
(01-02-2023, 09:12 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: It sounds very nice!
There were/are a few things that stood out to me. With the bass guitar playing in the higher register like it does, I found myself wanting more definition/attack/clarity in the notes. Since it also isn't delivering any real low frequency power, when the synth bass (or whatever it is) comes in during the choruses, it's low end power sticks out to me a bit much. You have it very well controlled, it just seems to be a bit much in the context of the whole song when it is not playing. I would either try to give the bass guitar a bit of that low energy thorough out or reign in the synth low end a tad. The only other thing is the kick before the first chorus. There are a couple of points where it hits 32nd notes (I believe) and you can hear/feel some real low frequency "escape" during those parts...so it ends up sounding different than the kick does the rest of the time. I don't recall if it does it elsewhere in the song.
After hearing your mix, I then listened to the posted one. There really is no comparison IMHO...I much prefer yours. Great job.
Hi, Drummer Craig. Thanks for the feedback.

This difference in the low energy of the synth bass and the bass hadn't bothered me at first, it seemed to be intentional to give an electronic music touch to the chorus. But ok, I balanced them in the 2nd version updated. I also adjusted the EQ on the electric bass, it cleaned up a bit. I don't know if I understood correctly what you said about the kick, but I preferred not to touch it and leave it natural.

There are other things I wish I could have worked on better, but my laptop is on edge, the CPU is overloaded, and the session is stuttering. This makes me lazy and discouraged, I need a better computer and software too, Cubase LE AI is very limited. Undecided Cheers.
Yes! You nailed it! Both changes sound great to me! Now, that is not to say I am right by any stretch as this is all creative choice and you (and others) may prefer that extra deep bass on the synth. However, to me, both the choruses and the verses sound like they belong together, and we still have great extra low end come in with the synth bass. Great changes on the bass guitar too.
Other things:
We have likely all been there, pushing our equipment to it's meager limits. However, do not be discouraged. I have just returned to this forum and already listened too and commented on a few of your recent mixes. The fact you are putting out such great mixes (IMHO) tells me you clearly have the chops and skill for this. You have already placed the bar high (in my ears) because of your quality/consistency. So because of that, if you ask for comments I will give them in as fine a detail as I can. I don't know what your doing or how you are doing it...I only know the end resulting tracks you put out here...and they have been a pleasure to listen too.
I believe Mike's goal with this forum is that we may help one another improve by getting the perspective of others listening on our wildly varying gear. I am trying my best to help with that goal in mind.

One last thing: In the past, mixers had to commit tracks (print). If your system is straining, maybe start picking tracks with lots of plugin's and printing them once you have them sounding the way you want...that way you can deactivate your original, have your printed track without using more processing.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer