Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Johnny Swain - Freedom - Updated
This forum seems to have lost something over the last 5 years or so.  Need to bring it back to being about the music and mixing.  We can do without the goose step marching about the place.  Leadership is best exercised behind the scenes not flaunted.   
Has anyone got anything to comment on about the mix presented here or are we all too wrapped up in our own agenda?  
It might be time to get off ones high horse before reporting this thread!  ahh the feeling of power!
"Need to bring it back to being about the music and mixing."
Sure, Agreed. We can use language that does so without being offensive and we can certainly do so while being adults in a community.

"Leadership is best exercised behind the scenes not flaunted."
Absolutely. So can being a member of a community.

"Has anyone got anything to comment on about the mix presented here"
I dunno? Does anyone? The thread isn't closed.

This isn't a matter of a "high horse" it's just trying to keep this forum on point and the poster wasn't discussing mine anymore but his own personal agenda.

It's nigh on 3 am locally. I can't go into further detail at the moment. I personally dealt with things as I saw best at the time. He got a time out as was conducive to the forum. We're all still free to discuss the mix and music. We can also do so with safe and inclusive language. It's not a big deal. And that wasn't even the issue in the end.

How's the bass levels? Is it too compressed? Ohs it need more effects? Is it mono compatible? Can we no be a jerk in discussing such things?
Hi folks,
I can see that this has now got a little out of hand, and I would appreciate it if we let the matter rest for now while I communicate with some of the parties concerned personally behind the scenes. My bottom line is that I ask for people to avoid swear words as a kindness to me and to keep the site as inclusive as possible for all age groups. I realise it can be a pain, but I would appreciate it nonetheless. Mix comments remain, of course, welcome as always! Smile
Mike S.
Forum Admin
quite overwhelmed by all the comments before...
Anyway, coming back to the music I think is a good powerfull mix overall, nice choice for the solo vocal, the only thing may be you squashed "those" guitars a little bit too much
Thanks for the comments. You may be right about the guitars. I did lighten up on the intensity of the crush on the guitars in the latter mixes to give them a little more breathing room. In the final mix I eased off on the overall guitar compression but added a keyed compressor on the first guitar group off of the background vocals to give them a bit more space when the vocals came in and to bring up the guitar energy in their absence.

I do hope you were not offended by my use of the innocuous term I used to describe the processing of the guitars. If I did offend, I apologize.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-02-2023, 11:08 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Thanks for the comments. You may be right about the guitars.  I did lighten up on the intensity of the crush on the guitars in the latter mixes to give them a little more breathing room. In the final mix I eased off on the overall guitar compression but added a keyed compressor on the first guitar group off of the background vocals to give them a bit more space when the vocals came in and to bring up the guitar energy in their absence.

I do hope you were not offended by my use of the innocuous term I used to describe the processing of the guitars. If I did offend, I apologize.
No problem at all, I did quote "those" guitar only because... you know.

Have fun and enjoy the music, you and all the people here, I think this place is a great opportunity for everybody. And for the guitars, that was "
nit-pickin" too. 
(07-02-2023, 10:05 PM)phil_basement Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 11:08 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Thanks for the comments. You may be right about the guitars.  I did lighten up on the intensity of the crush on the guitars in the latter mixes to give them a little more breathing room. In the final mix I eased off on the overall guitar compression but added a keyed compressor on the first guitar group off of the background vocals to give them a bit more space when the vocals came in and to bring up the guitar energy in their absence.

No problem at all, I did quote "those" guitar only because... you know.

Have fun and enjoy the music, you and all the people here, I think this place is a great opportunity for everybody. And for the guitars, that was "
nit-pickin" too. 
Smile
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]