Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Swain - Freedom - Updated
Quite the tour de force, from Mr. Swain. Nicely produced, recorded and performed which made it pretty easy to find the song. 

I played around with tom panning and levels to widen them into the bigger picture. The lead vocal had a phasey kind of vibe to it, so I added to it, which seemed appropriate.

I used a Shadow Hills compressor on my mix bus for this high energy song and I liked what it added with the nickel cores. 

The bass already had a bunch of character to it but I added a bit more low-end saturation to beef up the very bottom of it. 

I ended up squashing the pi$$ out of guitars 3, 4 and 5 to get them to sit.

Not sure I'm satisfied with the intelligibility of the vocals but I like where they fit level wise. 

This is my take. I hope you find it listenable.

As always, comments and feedback are appreciated.

Johnny Swain - Freedom - Ver. 3
Sparkled up the intro and added a few more automation tricks plus a clarification of the vocals.

Johnny Swain - Freedom - Ver 4
After a creative suggestion from a colleague, I made some mods to the lead vocal through the song and again clarified the vocals against the guitars.

This runs at -12.8 LUFS -1.0 Peak

Mix well and mix often,
mIT

.mp3    Johnny Swain - Freedom.mp3 --  (Download: 10.01 MB)

.mp3    Johnny Swain - Freedom - Ver 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.3 MB)

.mp3    Johnny Swain - Freedom - Ver 4.mp3 --  (Download: 10.3 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi,

Just posting a general reminder for everyone to remember to please mind your language when posting.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(29-01-2023, 07:36 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Just posting a general reminder for everyone to remember to please mind your language when posting.

Cheers!
pi$% off
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(30-01-2023, 04:43 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(29-01-2023, 07:36 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Cheers!
pi$% off

Hi,

I'm not sure there was any need for that? I don't feel it is too much to ask to give a gentle reminder to be polite and respectful of others, in line with the forum guidelines.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Sounds good mitc,  I like the vocal treatment and its placement.  I would like some extra build, excitement in the intro somehow (effects, automation)?  Anyways, listening besides Ozzy, it doesn't sound far away.  
I hope I didn't say anything naughty. Tongue
(30-01-2023, 10:09 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I hope I didn't say anything naughty. Tongue

The forum guidelines are quite clear and are, I hope, applied fairly and equally to everyone. I'm sure everyone is generally aware of what is acceptable and what could be considered somewhat inappropriate.

Cheers!
(30-01-2023, 10:09 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Sounds good mitc,  I like the vocal treatment and its placement.  I would like some extra build, excitement in the intro somehow (effects, automation)?  Anyways, listening besides Ozzy, it doesn't sound far away.  
It's only Rock 'n roll. Don't mean to rile the gentle folk.

Anyway...
Thanks for the listen Dave. I was just making notes on the intro as I think the keyboard is too heavy to start so I am going to try to sparkle it up. That may be the something you speak of. Let me know, with my next version. Every phrase in this song has a unique character which makes it fun and challenging to mix. I've heard a lot of great interpretations and each one finds and brings a character to the song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(31-01-2023, 07:51 AM)mikej Wrote:
(30-01-2023, 10:09 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I hope I didn't say anything naughty. Tongue

The forum guidelines are quite clear and are, I hope, applied fairly and equally to everyone.  I'm sure everyone is generally aware of what is acceptable and what could be considered somewhat inappropriate.

Cheers!

I think you need to get out and smell the roses mikej.  There are many problems in the world at the moment and this thread isn't one of them.  
have a lovely day.   Smile
(01-02-2023, 05:23 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(30-01-2023, 10:09 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Sounds good mitc,  I like the vocal treatment and its placement.  I would like some extra build, excitement in the intro somehow (effects, automation)?  Anyways, listening besides Ozzy, it doesn't sound far away.  
It's only Rock 'n roll. Don't mean to rile the gentle folk.

Anyway...
Thanks for the listen Dave. I was just making notes on the intro as I think the keyboard is too heavy to start so I am going to try to sparkle it up. That may be the something you speak of. Let me know, with my next version. Every phrase in this song has a unique character which makes it fun and challenging to mix. I've heard a lot of great interpretations and each one finds and brings a character to the song.

Yes, the version II intro seems more lively and feels like it's leading to something bigger.  Some of those Ozzy voice sound effects would be nice within this part.  Not sure how it's achieved.
(02-02-2023, 07:32 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I think you need to get out and smell the roses mikej.  There are many problems in the world at the moment and this thread isn't one of them.  
have a lovely day.   Smile

FYI -

You might not be aware of this but I have actually discussed this particular issue with Mike Senior on a number of occasions previously.

One of the few forum rules is that we all mind our language when discussing mixing. As I perhaps interact on this forum more than most, and am perhaps more pro-active moderation wise - it is important to me that I am seen to treat everyone fairly, consistently and with respect.

This is why I just give a little gentle reminder whenever I see language that is perhaps heading against the forum rules. Mainly to let everyone know it's been noted and flagged up. I don't want people to say that I call it out for one person and not another.

Some might see this as being overzealous, but for me, as I said, for me personally it is more a matter of being seen to be fair and consistent. I can say that everyone on this forum, bar 2 (one of which is mItc) have had the maturity to understand this.

My initial comment was just a gentle general reminder, but as per the last time mItc used similar language, he decided to escalate the issue a little beyond that, by reposting the same thing and telling me where to go.

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate for you, or mItc, or anyone else for that matter, to send myself, or Mike S a PM if you disagreed with my post, or the general policy.

Cheers!