Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Home to Blue - My 2nd
Beautiful song.
I have enjoyed a lot with it.
Congratulations to "The Long Wait"
I would appreciate your feedback.
Have a happy day.

.mp3    Back Home to Blue - Inner Music Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.63 MB)

Learning
It's a good start but I think you could do a few things to make it better. It sounds "clinical" to me, like everything was recorded and mixed completely digital. It is also too cool of a mix and needs more warmth with this style of song. It needs some contrast in the instrument tones and levels, featuring certain instruments or vocals at certain times while reducing others...capture the listeners interest as the song is moving along. One of the electric guitars (on the right side) is pretty piercing in tone.

These are all things I believe you can address. Try some saturation/tube/tape plugins on your tracks or buses to add some color and analog warmth. Give each instrument a subtle unique tonal quality so our ears can more easily distinguish them in the mix. Use some volume automation to draw the ear (small moves) to parts as the song moves along.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
New version.
Thanks four your help.

Listening to it now, I´m thinking that maybe there is too much saturation.
Not sure.

.mp3    Back Home to Blue - Inner Music Mix v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

Learning
you applied too much hi pass filter on all of the instruments and that makes it sound thin. You need to add much more body to give it oomph. don't be afraid to use parallel compression in order to get a punchy Drum as well.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
I have not got the tracks for this yet seem a nice song to mix ; is the vocal double tracked or has some sort of printed fx ,as it sounds like some sort of phase thing going on.
ok , placement of elements I like giving it a nice image. drums, yes are the most tricky bit, which you would not think with this type of genre. ;the far away far away has a good glue going into last part. need this though out.
pick your three most import elements in this song first make them shine, keep things sounding natural then work the rest around them ; less cutting, less compressing, vocal, that famous 1k----10k there is to much going on there.
I would chose vocal and and ac guitar place centre, then bvs placed to taste as my main elements. the important things get them solid so they tell the story .
All in all you have started a good reference here.

keep on keeping on
The vocal has one direct take live and the other one is overdub.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
Ah I see!!! I will down load tracks today and have a look ..nice song.