Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PHK Mix: Umphrey's McGee - Crucial Taunt
Hey. This is my attempt, using Cubase AI Elements 7, no samples and no automations. Any comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks.

Update Version 2: Some changes in kick drum, tons and right guitar

Update Version 3: Revision with several notable changes and a bit of automation on keyboards

.mp3    Umphrey\'s McGee - Crucial Taunt - MIX by PHK.mp3 --  (Download: 11.5 MB)

.mp3    Umphrey\'s McGee - Crucial Taunt - MIX by PHK V2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.5 MB)

.mp3    Umphrey\'s McGee - Crucial Taunt - MIX by PHK V3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.5 MB)

I haven't heard this song other than your mix. This sounded absolutely fantastic to me.
I only have one suggestion...take the weight of the kick (40ish Hz) down just a bit (maybe quarter or half dB?). I wouldn't want it quieter, it was just a little too weighty. This is really nit picking I know.
On a personal note, as a drummer I've never been a fan of LCR panning with cymbals or toms and I struggle with any song that uses it. However, it fits really well with this song and mix. If that kick wasn't a touch too weighty to me...this is as pro as I know.

I do seem to hear some pops or clicks periodically. Could be my system...like first is around 19 second mark.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
(23-01-2023, 08:36 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: I haven't heard this song other than your mix. This sounded absolutely fantastic to me.
I only have one suggestion...take the weight of the kick (40ish Hz) down just a bit (maybe quarter or half dB?). I wouldn't want it quieter, it was just a little too weighty. This is really nit picking I know.
On a personal note, as a drummer I've never been a fan of LCR panning with cymbals or toms and I struggle with any song that uses it. However, it fits really well with this song and mix. If that kick wasn't a touch too weighty to me...this is as pro as I know.

I do seem to hear some pops or clicks periodically. Could be my system...like first is around 19 second mark.

Hi, Drummer Craig. Thanks for the feedback.
I made a version V2 with less kick weight and narrowed down the panning of the tons (I confess that I don't like hard panned tones either). I also made a small EQ change on the right guitar.

Yes, the pops exist, they are flaws present in the recorded bass track.
The drum kit sounds like a kit to this old drummer! I really do like both versions. Very well done IMHO.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
Hey.

I did a revision (Version 3) and for the first time the result started to please me. If my ears are not deceiving me, it looks much better than the previous version. Everything became clearer and more cohesive. I didn't use samples either, but in this version I did a little bit of automation on the keyboards. What do you think?