Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright: By My Side mix
Hi all. I hope you enjoy this mix and that it translates well to your systems. It has been a long time since I tried mixing a song so I would welcome any and all feedback you have.

Thanks again for listening.  Smile

Made some subtle changes in Rev 1.

All comments/critiques are valued

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide.mp3 --  (Download: 9.07 MB)

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide_DC_Mix_Rev1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.07 MB)

Hi.
Cool, it has a very open sound. I think drummers have an interesting approach to mixing drums. I think the keyboard and guitar could be a little more apparent. I thought the Horns seemed to be isolated and separate from the band. And the guitar has an exaggerated ambience/reverb on the solo. I suggest you try to improve these points.

I had started mixing this song late last year, but my HDD crashed and I lost it... I just mixed it again and will post it. Cheers.
Thanks! All true! I will rework. I'm curious...can you elaborate more on drummers drum mixing approach?
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
Hi, I'm looking for a new job. I listened to the mix. I like the mix very much.

I am listening with Neumann KH120 speakers and Fostex PM0.3.
For headphones I am listening with Sony MDR-CD900ST.

I have only listened to your mix, but here are my impressions.
The airiness of the reverb is very nice.
I also like the vocals, which sound very gentle. I learn a lot.

If I may say so, I wish the bass was a little louder when I listen to it on speakers. I feel like I could hear the bass a little more.
The balance is very good when listening with headphones.

What I just said is my personal opinion, so if it doesn't bother you, no problem.

Glad to hear a very nice mix. Thank you very much.
Thank you Satoshi for listening and kindly providing your impressions and feedback. The more bass you are desiring, can you determine if it is the bass guitar, kick drum, both of those, or just an overall increase in the low frequency amount? As example ranges, would it be the low frequencies like 60Hz and below, or between 60Hz and 120Hz, or 120Hz - 200Hz? Thank you again for your feedback.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
(10-02-2023, 09:00 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: Thank you Satoshi for listening and kindly providing your impressions and feedback. The more bass you are desiring, can you determine if it is the bass guitar, kick drum, both of those, or just an overall increase in the low frequency amount? As example ranges, would it be the low frequencies like 60Hz and below, or between 60Hz and 120Hz, or 120Hz - 200Hz? Thank you again for your feedback.
Sorry for the lack of words. What I felt I wanted was a bass guitar. I think the balance of the individual sounds of the drums is very nice.
(04-02-2023, 06:25 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: Thanks! All true! I will rework. I'm curious...can you elaborate more on drummers drum mixing approach?
Hi. I think maybe because they see the kit as a whole.
Nice tonality! Great balance too, with one exception (see below).
The snare sound is very nice, round and punchy.
The instruments all sound good and you have some front to back depth going on.

Critiques:
- bass guitar is too low in the balance, especially relative to the drums
- vocal is a bit 'bland', could use a more appealing reverb and maybe some top sheen to make it more 'sexy'.
- some harshness on the cymbals and horns (I understand that his largely has to do with the mics, they have some nasty upper mids), maybe try some dynamic EQ?
This is song has been written and arranged really well and covers all the FQ spectrum, thus instruments are not playing over each other and fighting for their own space which in turn give the song a nice open sound. Mixing this type of song is a joy; one can concentrate more on the balance between instruments and the type of delays and verbs, and a little bit of ear candy.
As these tracks IMHP are recorded well and require a little of our own personal tonal adjustment; my thoughts will just be around balance, level and ear candy.
I have listened to both takes , and still think the snare sits to heavy and over powers the verse, I would like it to feel a little bit more laid back, the balance for the brass section, each brass instrument seems to be overly bright making thing sound less natural. the solo guitar part verb feels overly dark and sounds like its playing in a different room to the rest of the band. the sound image feels a little unbalanced ref instrument placement; own personal taste .
I think this track would benefit automation some riding of vocal.

ALL this prob sounds a little harsh. I have played and recorded and mixed jazz and big band music and listen to a lot of that genre, its my thing.
All above is sent with encouragement.
A good job overall.