Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AngelaThomasWade_MilkCowBlues_HSIMIX
Dear All. Thanks for listening. I am waiting for your feedback.

I considered the feedback I received and created AngelaThomasWade_MilkCowBlues_HSI_2. I calmed down the vocals a bit. Please listen to it.

.mp3    AngelaThomasWade_MilkCowBlues_HSI.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

.mp3    AngelaThomasWade_MilkCowBlues_HSI_2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

I really enjoyed your mix. Panning, balances, environment really fit the song well.
I've only heard your version and have no other references. I've only listened on headphones...my Sennheiser HD 600's and HyperX Alpha's, both with and without Sonarworks correction.
My only suggestion would be with the vocal in that it is a bit too bright for my liking.
Nice job, well done IMHO.
(21-01-2023, 09:46 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: I really enjoyed your mix. Panning, balances, environment really fit the song well.
I've only heard your version and have no other references. I've only listened on headphones...my Sennheiser HD 600's and HyperX Alpha's, both with and without Sonarworks correction.
My only suggestion would be with the vocal in that it is a bit too bright for my liking.
Nice job, well done IMHO.
Thank you so much for listening. I'm sorry if there are any conversion errors as I'm translating in Deep L.
I appreciate the valuable feedback and the opportunity to rethink my mixes.

I will think about changing the voice to be a bit too bright and mix it with the other instruments.
The high sibilance is better. I personally would reduce a slight bit more.
It's fine on my HyperX's but on my Sennheisers (known for their strong, accurate midrange), when she pushes her vocal like the first "If you've seen my milk cow, please send him on home" it hits the "squinting frequencies" (2K - 4K) a bit much for me. I am very sensitive in this area due to all the Drumming over the years. If it were me I would put a dynamic EQ, first trying 2K and have it tuck a dB only when she hits that "seen" area. You may not even be bothered or hear it like I do so hopefully others will respond with their opinion.
I am being very nit-picky here. You have a fine mix. You mix it the way you believe it sounds best and only take my advice if you feel it is valid. I have just returned to the forum and posted a new mix of my own (By My Side). Take a listen and if you think it is decent then consider my opinion. But if you think it sucks or is too dull then consider that too.
Great Job.
Comments are my personal opinion intended to help. I listened to your mix in studio on:
Yamaha HS80M/HS10W through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or
Sennheiser HD600 or HyperX Alpha headphones
all with and optionally without Sonarworks software.

MITB enthusiast, FOH Sound Engineer, Drummer
(23-01-2023, 07:12 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: The high sibilance is better. I personally would reduce a slight bit more.
It's fine on my HyperX's but on my Sennheisers (known for their strong, accurate midrange), when she pushes her vocal like the first "If you've seen my milk cow, please send him on home" it hits the "squinting frequencies" (2K - 4K) a bit much for me. I am very sensitive in this area due to all the Drumming over the years. If it were me I would put a dynamic EQ, first trying 2K and have it tuck a dB only when she hits that "seen" area. You may not even be bothered or hear it like I do so hopefully others will respond with their opinion.
I am being very nit-picky here. You have a fine mix. You mix it the way you believe it sounds best and only take my advice if you feel it is valid. I have just returned to the forum and posted a new mix of my own (By My Side). Take a listen and if you think it is decent then consider my opinion. But if you think it sucks or is too dull then consider that too.
Great Job.
You have spoken in great detail and I for one am glad. And thank you for thinking of me so kindly.
I will listen to mine once and try to fix the frequency if it bothers me again.
I will listen to your mix of (By My Side) later. And I would like to think about it again.
I also listened to your mix and you did a very nice mix. I'll take my time listening to it and write my own thoughts on your mix. But if you don't mind my opinion, don't worry about it.
Anyway, I am very happy to talk to you about your mixes. Thank you so much.
(23-01-2023, 07:12 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote: The high sibilance is better. I personally would reduce a slight bit more.
Great Job.
I just tried to fix this song and looked for the session file of the song, but I deleted it by mistake, so I can no longer fix the mix. I will mix various other songs again, so I am waiting for your comments.
I like the tonality of your mix.
This project was also not easy, the tracks were in a mess IMO. But she has a great voice so that makes it worthwhile to spend time on this mix. I understand what Drummer Craig means with the stridency in the upper midrange of the vocal, I also struggled with that aspect. My critique would be that the mix could sound a bit more 'open' and less 'close', so basically a reverb concept to add front to back depth to the various elements. Since there are many instruments playing here, it really helps to use this third dimension to spread the sounds around.
My two cents, have fun mixing!