Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I tried to make things clearer

Comments:

The biggest difficulty was to unburden the chorus because there are many elements for little space.

.mp3    Daimon B - Pain Remains.mp3 --  (Download: 6.58 MB)

GEARS
  • Macosx Big Sur / i5-10600KF / 16gb Ram / Nvme 512gb (OS) + SSD 1tb + HDD 4gb
  • Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • Soundcraft 22 MTK / Roland Quad-Capture
  • M-audio BX8
  • Main Plugins: Arturia and Plugin Alliance
(14-01-2023, 04:19 AM)@betoscunha Wrote: The biggest difficulty was to unburden the chorus because there are many elements for little space.

At the same time, it's also supposed to be a mix. I don't feel that you have to hear everything all the time. You can look to make cool blends too.

I think I'd ramp up the volume a bit more of that intro so it rises up to the level of the start of the track. Also, make sure you don't choke individual parts too much with over editing/controlling. I feel the drums could do with a bit more room to breath dynamically.

That aside, I do really like this mix overall. I like the balance, and especially all the moments you created with the vocal balance, editing and effects.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(15-01-2023, 11:20 PM)mikej Wrote:
(14-01-2023, 04:19 AM)@betoscunha Wrote: The biggest difficulty was to unburden the chorus because there are many elements for little space.

At the same time, it's also supposed to be a mix.  I don't feel that you have to hear everything all the time.  You can look to make cool blends too.

I think I'd ramp up the volume a bit more of that intro so it rises up to the level of the start of the track.  Also, make sure you don't choke individual parts too much with over editing/controlling.  I feel the drums could do with a bit more room to breath dynamically.

That aside, I do really like this mix overall.  I like the balance, and especially all the moments you created with the vocal balance, editing and effects.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback!

The intro was a little loud on my bluetooth headphones, so I decided to turn the volume down.

The drums (snare, kick) is not bothering me. But I did an experiment for the first time: I limited the drum tracks to -5db before starting the mix. It was an experiment I wanted to do.

The cymbal change in the intro bothers me. The song loses energy in the second part of the intro.

I wanted to try some more effects, but I ran out of ideas.

As for the overall sound, I used some kane churko mixes as a reference.
GEARS
  • Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • M-audio BX8
Quote:The battery is not bothering me. But I did an experiment for the first time: I limited the drum tracks to -5db before starting the mix. It was an experiment I wanted to do.

There's a mix I did on here somewhere where I put a limiter first on every track.  I don't think anyone noticed, but it's not really something I would recommend.  It was useful from a learning perspective though.  It is fun to experiment and try different approaches to things.

I've found that I don't tend to use limiting on individual tracks and buses much now.  If I do use it, it's to get a little bit more detail or lift out of a particular track, or to cut the odd annoying peak, if automation isn't appropriate.  I also find that I don't always use compression on the drum bus either.

I think compression might work better here on the drum bus though, rather than limiting?  I think the thing I feel I'm missing is the undulations and movement of the peaks of the kick and snare.  The drums feel perhaps a bit too flat on top to me, if that makes sense?  I think I feel I miss the interaction of the kick and snare with the other parts too, to some extent, and feel that perhaps it's losing a little bit of a sense of space?

Quote:The cymbal change in the intro bothers me. The song loses energy in the second part of the intro.

I didn't pick up on that.  It's always interesting finding out things that people pick up on that I don't.

Quote:I wanted to try some more effects, but I ran out of ideas.

I feel you put just enough in there and I think it works really well.  It didn't actually occur to me to add much to this one in that way.

Quote:As for the overall sound, I used some kane churko mixes as a reference.

Any particular tracks I should check out? I'm always interested in what other people are listening to.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Quote:I've found that I don't tend to use limiting on individual tracks and buses much now.  If I do use it, it's to get a little bit more detail or lift out of a particular track, or to cut the odd annoying peak, if automation isn't appropriate.  I also find that I don't always use compression on the drum bus either.

Yes, my intention was to cut the initial peak of the drum tracks.

Quote:I think compression might work better here on the drum bus though, rather than limiting?  I think the thing I feel I'm missing is the undulations and movement of the peaks of the kick and snare.  The drums feel perhaps a bit too flat on top to me, if that makes sense?  I think I feel I miss the interaction of the kick and snare with the other parts too, to some extent, and feel that perhaps it's losing a little bit of a sense of space?

About compression: I'm using group compression, like Michael Brauer. This is to minimize the pumping effect. And about kick and snare, I'm doing like Kane Churko, I use the term "crush" the drums. For this sound, I found it appropriate to "crush" the drums with compression and parallel processing.

Quote:Any particular tracks I should check out? I'm always interested in what other people are listening to.

I used this reference song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg14dAJ7sC8

It's part of a tutorial video by Slate Academy, mixed by Kane Churko. I think the two songs have a similar sound.

However, I accentuated the mids and highs a bit more in my mix.

(Sorry for the typos, I'm using google translate help and sometimes the translation isn't correct lol)
GEARS
  • Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • M-audio BX8
Thanks, I'll check out that reference.

I didn't notice any typos or translation issues. I occasionally use Google and Youtube caption translation too, so I understand the problems.

Cheers!