Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daimon B - Another Life
Hi there!

It's been a (long) while since I found the time to do a Cambridge mix, but I decided to give "Another Life" from Daimon B a try.
I have been upgrading my studio quite a lot lately, and am now working in a hybrid setup, which I like a lot.
This song was kind of "easy" to mix for me, as the raw tracks themselves are very clean, I find. A lot of stuff seems to be quite compressed and controlled, as is, so it was mainly about finding the right balance. I think I spent the most time trying to get the drums right and not have them pumping unnaturally in the parts where there's a lot of kick drum activity.
I am planning on doing mixes more frequently going forward, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Smile
Guido

Edit: Ok, apparently WAV files are not allowed.

Edit 2: Added version 2

.mp3    another life.mp3 --  (Download: 7.35 MB)

.mp3    another life-01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.35 MB)

Hey, that was a great mix! Nicely balanced.
Your mix could benefit from some highs and a little bit of air however, to make it more hi-fi as it sound a bit muffled as it is. Boosting those highs would give some more clarity.
Also to me the mix as a whole sound a bit overcompressed. Could be your mix bus compressor. But overall great job! Cheers!
Hi!

Yeah I agree this one sounds quite scooped and possibly over compressed. I think the levels of the low end is the main culprit perhaps?

I'm finding this one quite difficult (I've just had another try at it). It's all too easy to push the low end (kick and bass) too much, in relation to the rest of the mix, to get them to cut through rather than getting the kick and bass levels right in the balance in the first place.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated! I agree the mix was too bass heavy and somewhat too squashed. I suppose the drum buss compression paired with two different compressors on the main bus was a bit over the top. I used a different compressor on the drums now and generally tuned down the compression a bit. And it seems like there was too much germanium drive on the main bus as well, which lead to too much low end. I also tamed the overheads somewhat, and turned down the lead vocal as well, as I thought these were a bit too much. Overall, I think version 2 sounds a bit lighter and more transparent.
Any feedback would be great, of course. Smile
Cheers,
Guido