Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Timeless Part 1 Mix and Master by David V.
Hello,
what do you think of my mix and my master?
Thanks in advance
David

.mp3    Timeless Part 1 Mixed by David V.mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)

.mp3    Timeless Part 1 Mixed and Mastered by David V.mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)

Wow! That initial punch is very true to the original. I'm immediately happy to give it a listen.
1) The verbs and delays are ABSOLUTELY on point.
2) Nice tones! Edge of breakup, almost Marshall'y. I'd love to hear what you did for them.
3) The vocal mix is REALLY good! I love the harmony blends, and that's the most important thing.

My only critiques are as such:
1) The vocals could benefit from some de-essing! That's definitely our fault. I tend to record vocals in a very direct way, placement wise, so it's easy for the esses to be harsh.
2) The lead guitar tone is very mellow, which is nice in a way, but I almost feel like it should be more pushed, a little more fuzzy and driven.

Overall, I really like the direction you took with this mix and master! It sounds really nice, and I like what you did.
Thank you for taking the time to mix it!
Hi,

thank you for your feedback.
I couldn't remember what I did to the guitars so I reopened the session and started to make some changes to the mix haha..
yeah I guess it's a marshall amp sim by Cubase. I took some screenshots where you can see the settings and the eq moves.
The lead guitars vary a little bit, but mainly I changed the cab to some orange cab from york audio.

You're right about the esses. I have several de-essing stages, but I tend to make vocals pretty bright which enhances them again, but the vocals sound nicely upfront. There's definitely room to improve. It's hard to find the right balance. Maybe there's some space missing, too.
Probably the lead guitars are still to mellow in the new mix version Wink

Thank you for giving the oppurtunity to mix this song.

Best regards
David

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Timeless, Pt. 1 (Mastered by David V. v2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)