Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Another LifeV2'
This one took a bunch of random automation, and it ended up rather loud at 6.7lufs!  Smile

Much more speaker friendly Version 2 , 12lufs Smile

.mp3    Another Life.mp3 --  (Download: 9.25 MB)

.mp3    Another LifeV2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.25 MB)

Hi there! The main thing that i find that you need to work more is on the drums. Overall it sounds too soft and weak, snare needs to be tighter and more snappy as well as kick needs to be punchier, you are probably using too much the room track, wich for me just seemed to weaken it all. Your guitars sounds fine and the overall tonal balance of the track is good. I find the vocals too loud and dry for my taste...and because of that the the levels of the different tracks are a bit wrong being the vocals on too much on top of everything. Would be nice is u cleaned a bit the mid lows and thighten up the lows, as it's a bit too muddy.

Apart from that u mastered ur track too hot, just looking at it's wave file it's completly limited and lacks all dinamics, probably that comes from the mix too but that's one of the reasons why ur mix lacks punch and strenght...Mastering that loud will just squash and choke your mix, plus any streaming service would turn it's gain down by at least 7dB...Louder is not better and in this case is not doing good to your mix.

Not a bad mix overall but still need a bit of work. Keep up the good work Smile !!
(08-01-2023, 11:56 AM)Ak3r Wrote: Hi there! The main thing that i find that you need to work more is on the drums. Overall it sounds too soft and weak, snare needs to be tighter and more snappy as well as kick needs to be punchier, you are probably using too much the room track, wich for me just seemed to weaken it all. Your guitars sounds fine and the overall tonal balance of the track is good. I find the vocals too loud and dry for my taste...and because of that the the levels of the different tracks are a bit wrong being the vocals on too much on top of everything. Would be nice is u cleaned a bit the mid lows and thighten up the lows, as it's a bit too muddy.

Apart from that u mastered ur track too hot, just looking at it's wave file it's completly limited and lacks all dinamics, probably that comes from the mix too but that's one of the reasons why ur mix lacks punch and strenght...Mastering that loud will just squash and choke your mix, plus any streaming service would turn it's gain down by at least 7dB...Louder is not better and in this case is not doing good to your mix.

Not a bad mix overall but still need a bit of work. Keep up the good work Smile !!
Thanks for the detailed reply! I went ahead and made a Version 2. I'll try to have a listen to your version to give my opinions as well. I agree with everything you've mentioned, besides the vocals not being obviously loud, but I tucked them way back anyways for V2. I completely squashed the life out of it no doubt haha I was having way too much fun with a subpac and had to turned my interface's volume down, which naturally made me mix much louder than I should have. No care for my meters sometimes if I like what I hear. I know, bad habit maybe haha  My snare tone is still Meh imo, its just simple eq, vairmoon compressor and a basic sample added nothing too fancy. Same with the kick. I tried to make the vocals a little more airy feeling but I'm sure I could spend some more time playing with some fun effects all over the vocal tracks. I gave this one a more proper volume at around 12lufs. Happy service, happy life? hahaha I'm just glad we have good songs to mix on here when the cravings kick in. Cheers Smile