Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Jones - Don't put me on hold (EC MIX)
Definitely a fun track to mix, I'm still learning to not overdo things... 

Where I usually start going from kick to vox I decided to just put all faders at 0db and make a balanced mix as a starting point, just panning and adjusting volumes, this got me into a rough ballpark a lot quicker. Everything routed to busses and then worked bus by bus from drums to vox, aiming for enough headroom to allow for -14 LUFS.

I put up another mix I really liked as a reference and I'm still not managing to get the kind of depth and open feeling I'm looking for.

.mp3    Remember Jones - Don\'t put me down (EC MIX).mp3 --  (Download: 7.68 MB)

I'm still a bit sleepy so forgive me if I'm not completely articulate. I gave a quick, cursory listen and 2 things jumped out at me:

1: It could use a little more low end. And maybe the bass guitar (or overall) could do with a slight cut in the 100-200hz range to remove some of the boxy-ness.

B: There's a lot going on in the 3khz range and I think there's a lot of traffic and instruments jockeying for position in that narrow area. There's the snare and guitars and horns and vocals (oh and organ as I'm listening again). It's ultimately an arrangement issue that one has to compensate for. I think that if you could focus on opening up that area (give or take an octave I'm just going by ear) the mix would open up a bit. Right now the mix is a bit aggressive and "coming at you" as opposed to pulling the listener in. If the makes sense.

It's not bad or far off but could use some tweaks. In my humble opinion.
(31-12-2022, 03:27 PM)roy Wrote: I'm still a bit sleepy so forgive me if I'm not completely articulate. I gave a quick, cursory listen and 2 things jumped out at me:

1: It could use a little more low end. And maybe the bass guitar (or overall) could do with a slight cut in the 100-200hz range to remove some of the boxy-ness.

B: There's a lot going on in the 3khz range and I think there's a lot of traffic and instruments jockeying for position in that narrow area. There's the snare and guitars and horns and vocals (oh and organ as I'm listening again). It's ultimately an arrangement issue that one has to compensate for. I think that if you could focus on opening up that area (give or take an octave I'm just going by ear) the mix would open up a bit. Right now the mix is a bit aggressive and "coming at you" as opposed to pulling the listener in. If the makes sense.

It's not bad or far off but could use some tweaks. In my humble opinion.
Thanks a bunch for that and yeah, you're getting what I'm meaning totally, it's too boxy and in your face with everything just pushing into you. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to have a play with it in the next couple of days.