Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in ANOTHER LIFE? .. I'd still love music :)
My take... feedback much appreciated.

.mp3    anotherlife.mp3 --  (Download: 9.29 MB)

.mp3    anotherlife2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.29 MB)

.mp3    anotherlifeFinal.mp3 --  (Download: 9.29 MB)

(04-12-2022, 05:27 AM)Shul Wrote: My take... feedback much appreciated.

Guitars and Synths need to be a bit louder, they get buried under the drums and the main vocals.
2nd Bass Track is in antiphase, which produces partial problems with the stereo image and sounds thin in the quieter sections. You can check that in mono.
Track lacks basement (everything below 200Hz) in general. If you send this in mastering, they will increase this frequency area, no matter what, but if they will, the main bass will be a bit too loud and wide...
Main fundamental of the Snare is too "thumpy" ... I have my trouble with that too as you already noticed Wink
Drums could use a bit more from the Overheads and the Room as the Kick and the Snare sound very dry, this could glue the sound a bit more together.

Otherwise i think you are really on the right track, if i send this through my Mastering chain it already sounds very good!
if we only have one turn - in this life we have to learn
That's weird... I dropped the volume on 2nd bass track.. that's why it sounds quiet in the drops or the quiet parts.. in the chorus the main bass track sounds full.. but I will double check the phase in mono, didnt find anything weird about it when u first heard them.
Boosting guitars caused a ton of problems with the snare and the vocals that's why I'm not pushing it more.. you can still hear them so I figured drums, bass, and lead synth are the tracks that can drive the song better.

Curious to hear the track in your mastering strip. Would u upload it in a comment? Smile
(06-12-2022, 08:10 PM)Shul Wrote: That's weird... I dropped the volume on 2nd bass track.. that's why it sounds quiet in the drops or the quiet parts.. in the chorus the main bass track sounds full.. but I will double check the phase in mono, didnt find anything weird about it when u first heard them.
Boosting guitars caused a ton of problems with the snare and the vocals that's why I'm not pushing it more.. you can still hear them so I figured drums, bass, and lead synth are the tracks that can drive the song better.

Curious to hear the track in your mastering strip. Would u upload it in a comment? Smile

The Guitar and the Snare shouldn´t be actually the Problem, the Guitars are always focused on an Area between 300 and 1.5 Khz, finding the right settings for its mid-range is the half finished track. I usually start with a highpass at ~100-150 Hz and focus on removing harsh frequencies at the top and add something in the range 700-1khz to create it´s signature. Sometimes even add ~300Hz or 4-5Khz if something is missing and it still needs to cut through...

The Problem with the Snare is that the Track seems already processed, there are lot of resonances even in its fundamentals. The Overheads and Room Tracks are also suboptimal to create the needed punsh...
I´m having difficulties myself mixing it... 

I ran your track through my setup, very roughly adjusted, i de-clipped it with RX upfront which gave me some headrom and brought back at least a minimum of the dynamics, its a heavily limited track already and ... it´s an MP3... so, expect no wonders.
If you send me your corrected track as a flac (without any processing and some headroom), i would give it another, more detailed go if you want.
Enjoy! Wink

.mp3    DaimonB_AnotherLife2_shul -premastered from mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.29 MB)

2nd version. tweaked balance, eq, comp..
(09-12-2022, 03:27 AM)Shul Wrote: 2nd version. tweaked balance, eq, comp..
hm...
-guitar a little up (1-2db)
-Vox a bit down
-2nd Bass is still to wide, espacially below 100 Hz. I mean thats not really an issue if you press it on CD or release it on Streaming, but definetely would be an issue if you get this on vinyl, you don´t want to have the Engineer fiddle too much with it before pressing... In Order to check how much you can get away with Stereo-width, you can use the Voxengo Correlometer - it´s free.

Finding the right Balance isn´t always easy. Years ago i checked that with a IR/Convolution Reverb in my mixbus, using small and very big rooms. These Days i use mainly the NX Series from Waves as it has several Setups you can check on and a Compensation Curve for my Headphones... Still having Problems sometimes to nail it on the spot. But at least you can get a better feeling for it over time... My Monitors unfortunately don´t have that much sub...

Well done!
Hi!

Good mix [mix 2].

(Vocals might be just a little forward for my taste, but meh!)

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
As for me, the vocals turned out to be indistinct. The balance of the instruments is good, but the vocals are not in the mix.
thanks for input guys.. but for better or worse.. final version is up. Not gonna touch this track till another day to remix.