Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf - Come Around
I haven't been on this site in a long time. I got caught up in the mix contests at Indaba.

I saw this song and thought I would try it. I just about quit. It had two things in it that irritated me to death. The fret buzz on the bass was awful. Loved this girls voice but I just couldn't get it nailed. The truth, I can't make out what she's singing before or after I got done with it.

Trying not to be critical but I have only been doing this a year now and so much for a middle aged fat man to learn. Smile

Look forward to your input.

Greg

.mp3    Leaf - Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 3.89 MB)

After listening to the first one, I thought I could do better with the guitars. I use SONAR X3. After I mix it down to 24bit wav file, I master it and export to mp3. I usually use no dithering when mixing it down. But I use dithering going from 24 bit to 16 bit. I keep getting a little degradation. I guess I should ask if it's ok to upload the wav file instead of mp3.

Trying again

.mp3    Leaf - Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 3.83 MB)

I listened again. I'm happy with the track but I can't get background vox without automation. Here is the latest try. Seems background vox is a little too upfront towards the middle of the song.

.mp3    Leaf - Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 3.92 MB)

(22-04-2014, 06:54 AM)johnbonesdoe Wrote: I listened again. I'm happy with the track but I can't get background vox without automation. Here is the latest try. Seems background vox is a little too upfront towards the middle of the song.

Welcome back Greg !
Sounds like you are having fun with this song I haven't tried it yet.
The guitars in the intro sound nice, the drums especially the kick sound compressed ,are you using compression on individual tracks or just on the master bus ?Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(25-04-2014, 02:02 AM)thedon Wrote:
(22-04-2014, 06:54 AM)johnbonesdoe Wrote: I listened again. I'm happy with the track but I can't get background vox without automation. Here is the latest try. Seems background vox is a little too upfront towards the middle of the song.

Welcome back Greg !
Sounds like you are having fun with this song I haven't tried it yet.
The guitars in the intro sound nice, the drums especially the kick sound compressed ,are you using compression on individual tracks or just on the master bus ?Big Grin

That may be some of what I'm running into. Knowing when or to compress tracks or busses. I heard this song some where else and I recognized when I heard, that it would be cool to give it a run. I finally got some monitors. Presonus Eris 8's. Happy you replied! Smile