Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Piece Of Me
Another great track to mix, hope it turned out nicely
Let me know what you think

Cheers

.mp3    Dark Ride - Piece of Me v1 R01.mp3 --  (Download: 10.65 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Compared with Deny Control, this mix sounds small and tiny. Can`t pinpoint it, really, but the guitars sound harsh, and I miss dynamics and movement. It could be that the distortion/compression that helped bring out the energy and emotion in Deny Control is causing the problem and that this song needs a much cleaner approach and less distortion/compression/limiting on the master buss.

The result is a mix that has the same "energy" from start to end. The song itself gives plenty of opportunities to go from low to high energy. Some parts need to be smaller than the rest (e.g. the bridge), and some louder. If the snare in the bridge has the same sound and energy in the verse, bridge and chorus, something is wrong. E.g. the bridge needs to be small, fragile, like it could break at any moment. That`s something I miss in your version. The problem is that the buildup loses much of its energy because the bridge has the same energy level as the verse and chorus before.
Hey Blitzzz,

Excellent pinpointed.
Anyway, I think it should be that time of the year when I'll review my older mixes.
I'll get the tracks, and try again from scratch. One point missing in this version is definitely some automation, so I'll try as much as possible to create some dynamics and movement between song parts using automation

Cheers
Awesome, looking forward to it! I think this is a good example of how a similar mixing approach for two songs produces two radically different outcomes and that you need to change your style if the song asks for it.
Yeah Blitzzz,

Absolutely! And I also think that depends on how you in-vision the song and how you get there using mixing techniques

Cheers