Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DaimonB_PainRemains_Full
This is the first mix since getting the speakers up in a new space. No idea how it will translate but would love to hear all constructive critique.

Adding another mix. Tried to remove some loow mid mud and added some more pressance.

.mp3    DaimonB_PainRemains_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

.mp3    DaimonB_PainRemains_Full(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

I think it'd sound so much better if you take care (controlling the tail end, a gate , LP EQ, or a de eeser should do the trick) of the washy cymbals (OH). They last too long smearing all the top end from all instruments. I like the crunchiness of the guitars but think can HP a bit more. The kick is there but could be more commanding. The snare can be beefier and snappier. General clean up around the lo mid should help brighten up the mix a bit more (synths?). Hope it helps. Cheers!
Hi,

I like guitars, a lot of presence, really (something special?) Mix in space is interesting too, and drums have good balance.

Just one think, vocals are very, very far. Perhaps a parallel comp in favour of transient an brillance? Or an other comp? Don't know...

Choices for the brillance in high mids are nice, but Voices are there too absorbed in my opinion. (I got the same problem with guitars in low mids)

Good job.
(29-11-2022, 02:47 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: I think it'd sound so much better if you take care (controlling the tail end, a gate , LP EQ, or a de eeser should do the trick) of the washy cymbals (OH). They last too long smearing all the top end from all instruments. I like the crunchiness of the guitars but think can HP a bit more. The kick is there but could be more commanding. The snare can be beefier and snappier. General clean up around the lo mid should help brighten up the mix a bit more (synths?). Hope it helps. Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions. Never thought about using a gate, will definitely give that a try. The cymbals are annoying on this song but I figured what the heck lets go with it.
The guits being a bit muddy could also be due to low Eq boost ( Null in the room) As for the synth those are intentionally held back, just personal preference with that.   
(29-11-2022, 06:08 PM)GoetheX Wrote: Hi,

"I like guitars, a lot of presence, really (something special?) Mix in space is interesting too, and drums have good balance.

Just one think, vocals are very, very far. Perhaps a parallel comp in favour of transient an brillance? Or an other comp? Don't know...

Choices for the brillance in high mids are nice, but Voices are there too absorbed in my opinion. (I got the same problem with guitars in low mids)

Good job."

Thank you sir! I have a stereo spread thing happening with the vocals so that my have the consequence of softening them. Ill see if I caint get those sounding more forward. 
No biggies. The gate is quite useful if you give it some time to get to know what it can do. I would pay more attention to the filters, if you have them. I just found out more about it lately and start using it as often as the EQ/comp on my track. Same with the limiter. Quite useful. In the case of washy cymbal/crash, I find the de esser is the easiest rout to take. If it doesn't work, I'd move on to the next in line, EQ, or whatever. It doesn't have to be either or; it can be a combo of both and diff amounts. You have lots of room to try. The goal is: to get rid of the wash and they are somewhere around 4kHz and up. That's enough info to yank out your tools, right? Who cares what you used as long as you get rid of the wash? Have fun, man. Just listen carefully. And trust your ears. You didn't like the cymbal wash but you let it go, right? Your ears are trying to tell you something, just in diff language. You should listen. And even that needs some practicing, but such is the life of a mixer.
(30-11-2022, 02:23 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: No biggies. The gate is quite useful if you give it some time to get to know what it can do. I would pay more attention to the filters, if you have them. I just found out more about it lately and start using it as often as the EQ/comp on my track. Same with the limiter. Quite useful. In the case of washy cymbal/crash, I find the de esser is the easiest rout to take. If it doesn't work, I'd move on to the next in line, EQ, or whatever. It doesn't have to be either or; it can be a combo of both and diff amounts. You have lots of room to try. The goal is: to get rid of the wash and they are somewhere around 4kHz and up. That's enough info to yank out your tools, right? Who cares what you used as long as you get rid of the wash? Have fun, man. Just listen carefully. And trust your ears. You didn't like the cymbal wash but you let it go, right? Your ears are trying to tell you something, just in diff language. You should listen. And even that needs some practicing, but such is the life of a mixer.

Finally got back to this one. theres a new mix up and would like to know your thoughts on it.
I think it's a major improvement from the last. Couple things I want to say but not 100% sure: the guitar on the left is a bit loud relatively. The bass should have some attack to help make the kick punchier. The snare is awesome but has more sustain than attack (to my ears it's either too fast attack or too long release) so you have more body than snap. I'd open up the comp to see if the attack comes back, if not, I'd put it back to where it was and mess with the release. In my experience, once I get the attack where it should be, the release will give me that snappy, punchy snare. Just a note that the release is super hard to hear, but practice will def help. You know the gate can also make the snare/kick/tom, etc, shorter=punchier (not always but usually), right? I still think the OH top end, mostly cymbal/hats/crash, can use a little more shaving. Doing that would also give the snare/guitars/kick beater/top end of vocal, etc, a chance to shine and you won't lose much bc your whole mix can afford it. In this song I am always weary of the syn01. I actually mixed it in last when everything was in order. Maybe you want to mute it when you do finer moves and then bring it back. Just something I throw out there. I think you do an awesome job bc I know how hard it is. Hope it helps. Cheers.