Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain V2
Hi,

Thought I'd have another try at this one. 

Reading through the comments on my previous attempt at this, I think Roy is right, so I've also attached a mix with just vocal and guitar.

.mp3    The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain (Mix For Roy).mp3 --  (Download: 12.12 MB)

.mp3    The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain.mp3 --  (Download: 12.12 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I think this is a great mix, and everything sounds very true to the tracks Smile
Thanks!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(26-11-2022, 05:52 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Thought I'd have another try at this one. 

Reading through the comments on my previous attempt at this, I think Roy is right, so I've also attached a mix with just vocal and guitar.

I like them both.  Question - did you "comp" the vocal from the 3 takes?  As a "newbie" I found my biggest challenge was the "vocal tone" of the artist. (nasal) - After listening to it so many times,  I finally decided to "embrace" it and actually became fond of her tone.
https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=50176
I fear that "detachment" is going to be another issue for me. Rolleyes
Thank you for providing this vehicle for us to learn from others.
Floyd
I'm trying to "out knob myself" -  -  You can never have too many knobs.
Come to think of it, the new generations probably don't know what knobs are....
The only thing possibly better would be the occasional bell and whistle.
Hi!

(12-07-2024, 03:02 PM)Floyd Wrote: I like them both.  Question - did you "comp" the vocal from the 3 takes? 

Thanks!

I couldn't remember what I did with the vocals. I've managed to dig up the session files though. Seems I used the alt_take for the main vocal and used the double tracked vocal (LeadVoxDT) panned 100% right during the chorus sections.

Quote:As a "newbie" I found my biggest challenge was the "vocal tone" of the artist. (nasal) - After listening to it so many times,  I finally decided to "embrace" it and actually became fond of her tone.

Tracks like this are generally a real challenge anyway - as the vocal is the main feature of the track. The vocal is going to be fully exposed, so you have to do your best and show it in the best light you can.  In this case the vocal delivery very good, and I feel the tone really compliments the song.  It is a little tricky to mix - it's not too bad though. 

Looking at the session, I did do quite a bit of vocal processing.  First up was a little bit of a tube pre-amp plugin, followed by two eqs.  The first eq is notching out a few frequencies.  Second is adding a touch of low and high end.  I've then got a compressor, and another eq after it (maag eq4) adding a bit more vibe, and de-esser at the end.  Compressors can change the tone a little bit, so I often like to add an eq after to add in an extra bit of low end or top end.  As I mix, I sometimes find I need to add a little more top end or so.  If I do this on a seperate eq it's easy to switch it in and out to check if it's helping the mix, or not.   

The de-esser I use is actually just an eq going into the sidechain of a compressor.  I tend to do that and/or edit the esses manually these days.   

Quote:https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=50176
I fear that "detachment" is going to be another issue for me. Rolleyes

Yeah. One of the things the great Dave Pensado once said is that he has the ability to be able to hear a song as if for the first time, even if he's been working on it for days.  For me, I have to leave it for 6 months or so to get the same effect! 

Quote:Thank you for providing this vehicle for us to learn from others.
Floyd

Much appreciated - glad that you are making good use of the site!  It's all thanks to Mike Senior that we have this fantastic resource available to use.   

Cheers!