Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham, AndyGallas Mix
A bit late I know, upps.

.mp3    FourGraham.mp3 --  (Download: 6.42 MB)

.mp3    FourGraham_2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.42 MB)

(26-11-2022, 12:39 AM)AndyGallas Wrote: A bit late I know, upps.

Yeah. It's like just after midnight here.

Really good mix.

If I was to be really nit picky I feel a db or so on the master at 4k would bring out the vocal and a bit of the guitars forward a touch - but that might just be the headphones I'm using. I'll be sure to be giving this one a blast on the monitors tomorrow.

I must have another try at this one myself sometime, as I just checked my mix of this and it sucks.

Anyway, great job!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey Mike, thanks for checking my Mix.

The biggest challenge were the drums for me, now that was quite a lot of work. Lots of preparing, I was not able to get a good sound without samples and I had a lot of problems with wrong triggers especially on the kick and snare, yeah whatever.

If one gets this right, I know right away he/she has worked really very hard.

Cheers!
(26-11-2022, 12:00 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: Hey Mike, thanks for checking my Mix.

The biggest challenge were the drums for me, now that was quite a lot of work. Lots of preparing, I was not able to get a good sound without samples and I had a lot of problems with wrong triggers especially on the kick and snare, yeah whatever.

If one gets this right, I know right away he/she has worked really very hard.

Cheers!

Yes. Thanks for mentioning the work you put in with the drums.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I checked out my mix of this. Why did I settle for that drum sound and not add samples and work at it until the drums were where they needed to be? I also need to put in more work with the guitar tones, stereo balance, and the overall frequency balance. etc, etc...

Talking about working hard. You have touched upon something that I think is very important that is not really spoken about much with mixing. For me it's something I think I've only really started to understand properly for myself in perhaps the last 6 months or so. Something that maybe should be obvious, but I don't think it really is.

Kind of hard to explain, and not sure if this makes much sense, but you really do have to keep working away at this to get to a point where you know where each sound needs to get to (before you start), and have the tenacity to keep working at it and to keep moving forward until you get the sounds where they need to be to be able to get them working together to make a good mix.

The thing is it really does take a lot of hard work, practice and referencing, etc to get to a point where you can even begin to be able to know where to get the sounds to, not to mention how to get them there.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Speaking of drums... I did second version FourGraham_2 without any samples. I'm demoing the Sonnox Drum Gate right now which I think is pretty spectacular. Nonetheless there was alot to do on the drum tracks.

Cheers!
Hi!

For me the version with samples is so much better. It's great to be able to compare the two mixes back to back though.

Cheers!
Hi Mike, yes I agree with you. Thanks again for listening.