Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgamize
Trying to achieve both depth and clarity on this song is the main challenge. The single oscillator nature of many of the synths also makes it really hard to keep the high end under control (meaning not melting your earwax) Big Grin

Did I maybe overcook the bass a bit?

.mp3    Amalgamize.mp3 --  (Download: 14.19 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I think that you achieve your main goal in order to get a mix with clarity. I love the bassline in the mix!! don't worry about our earwax... mine is still in the same place Big Grin
mixing since April 2013
You can use multiband comp for helping with that.
Electronic music is so much easer to get sounding ok.
Why do you think that's all Dave pensado works on on his shows
you never see him showing you how to deal with utter crap do you.
Thanks Juan Big Grin This one is tricky because very few instruments play for more than half of the song, so continuity is a bit of a challenge, too.

LOL Alan. Pensado makes me wonder sometimes... the proof is obviously in the pudding as he's very successful and has a lot of great mixes on his resume, but sometimes he seems incredibly dense. Do you think there's too much bass in general here? I highpassed the hell out of the side channels on the stereo basses, which opened things up a lot, and that 8th note bass line is the only rhythmic instrument that really drives the tempo... so I worry I may have overdone it. In this case I opted not to use multiband compression because all of the bass parts had a lot of high harmonics, so I did a lot of multing to high-pass what I felt was less important than the rhythmic bass-line... wrong choice there? Hopefully it's not utter crap Tongue

Thanks for listening, guys!

Sound ok here.Dave Pensado is not interested in mixers all him and that manager of his are after is money
its all to do with trying to sell sponsors gear mate nothing else.
(19-04-2014, 10:54 PM)takka360 Wrote: Sound ok here.Dave Pensado is not interested in mixers all him and that manager of his are after is money
its all to do with trying to sell sponsors gear mate nothing else.

No surprises, there! Man obviously knows what he's doing but I've never heard him share anything terribly earthshaking. I'm willing to bet a lot of people on this forum, presented with the kind of material he's working with (recorded in a pro studio by pro musicians on pro equipment), could blow his mind, as mixing home studio recordings is a far greater challenge.

You're right though, it seems mixing tactics that would be a mortal sin applied to real instruments are much more acceptable with synthesizers. I usually try to keep my EQ to high pass filtering, low mid peaking cuts, and high shelving cuts and maybe need to put some more effort into mangling these synths to enhance the clarity and bring up the volume. EQ boosts in particular I try to avoid because of how quickly that can ruin my objectivity, but maybe boosts aren't such a bad idea when a synth isn't doing what it needs to be doing.