Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pain Remains - DaimonB
Well, mixing is listening, right? I "suspected" that a long time ago. The problem is: what, where, how. The what took me a few years to learn. Quite easy now that I figured it out, but I am always a little slow so it took longer than it should: everything. Same with the where, everywhere. It's the how that is the monster I fear, bc it requires proficient level of detection of the first two. I am only on the first leg. I try to listen to everything in a song, any song; it doesn't matter it's my mix or not. I try to listen not to the sound itself but what's around it, room sound, rumbles, dynamics, annoying freq, etc. It took me a long long time to learn to listen bc, first, I didn't know what to listen and there was no one there to point it out for me and, second, I didn't listen to it the proper way, the mixer's way. I have to confess that I lost the ability to listen to music like I used to. Put it this way: it's more technical than pleasure now, and I miss it.

I am glad that you mentioned the key of the song. I, too, think that the key of the song is just as important as the tempo in mixing. If one relies on the bpm to set up compressor, delay, reverb, gate, ect then one also needs to know the key of the song to EQ in mixing. EQ is one of the processors us mixers cannot do without. Yet no one talks about it. No one cares about the key of the song. Quite evidently. I wonder why. I have a list of reasons why we need the key of the song and how useful it is to us when mixing. Am I the black sheep of the family? I am curious of your reason though. Merci.

Messages In This Thread
Pain Remains - DaimonB - by GoetheX - 17-11-2022, 11:12 AM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by SonicTramp - 21-11-2022, 07:11 PM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by GoetheX - 22-11-2022, 11:29 AM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by SonicTramp - 22-11-2022, 09:16 PM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by GoetheX - 27-11-2022, 06:00 PM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by SonicTramp - 29-11-2022, 01:04 AM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by GoetheX - 29-11-2022, 06:29 PM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by SonicTramp - 30-11-2022, 03:03 AM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by motomojo - 29-11-2022, 04:49 AM
RE: Pain Remains - DaimonB - by GoetheX - 29-11-2022, 06:18 PM