Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pain Remains Mix
Been working on using a low mix volume. Calibrated system to 75db spl c. Let me know what you think. Are the guitars too loud? I struggle with guitars.

.mp3    Pain Remains Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

Yes, I think the guitar is a bit loud relatively and a little crunchy on the top end (2Khz up). It also makes the mix less clear. And yeah, man, the guitar is killing not just you but me too. I think the problem is both the synths and the guitars b/c they share almost the same region. In order to combat that I group them together and work from there, just the guitars and the synths. The rhythm guitars can sit back a bit more than the synth since it's mostly power chords; I paid more attention on getting the other guitars to cut thru (guitar 2 & 3) since they are picked on single notes (not chords) and appear quite briefly (start at 0:24- and 1:13 or somewhere near there)( both of them are a bit low in your mix) They do a better job injecting excitement to the song, imo. I HP the rhythm guitars quite high 199Hz and LP to 2.7kHz (6dBs curve) with some cuts around 3-4kHz to leave room for vocal and synths. That way I ensure they don't muddy the mix. Also watch out for the "synth1". I use it to provide the foundation instead of the bass.

I like the fact that you didn't use any additional snare samples b/c I still hear the snare shuffle. Mixes that used sample snare missed that, therefore, the song doesn't sound the same and loses some of the swing within the song.

I think your kick can use some more beater to cut thru and louder, and maybe a bit more attention to the bv? Hope it helps. Cheers!
Thanks for the comment and help! I have implemented many of those ideas. Here is another go at the tune. I have also gotten some new plugins and changed how my speakers are set up. The new set up seems to be translating better. Here is round two.

.mp3    Pain Remains Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.45 MB)

The guitars are too low not too high. You just have created a tone on them that makes you want to turn them down, due to the fuzzy highs.