Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mykey Massacre: 'Don't Please Stay'
First try on this song. Thanks for the listen. Cheers!

.mp3    Mykeymassacre-dontpleasestay-tramp.mp3 --  (Download: 19.49 MB)

Hi SonicTramp i like the kick thump,i keep expecting vocal spins with some delays,i guess its subjective,i feel a little more glue to the track again subjective,well done anyway.
Reaper user
(23-10-2022, 01:14 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi SonicTramp i like the kick thump,i keep expecting vocal spins with some delays,i guess its subjective,i feel a little more glue to the track again subjective,well done anyway.
Thanks Cudjoe, for your comment. I guess we both have the same taste; it's just that you got there before me Smile. I also thought a delay would gel the mix together nicely, but that's after the fact. I was working on the snare and went straight down the rabbit hole with it. Fighting with the compressor is never fun, tbh. It's actually not a fight, more like taking a beat down on my part. Thanks for taking me back out. But I got it close to where I want it. I like short snappy snare. Pulled the guitars down a little bit. My bad habit is pushing the guitars way too loud in a rock song. Messed around with the kick trying to get the thunder I long for but can never shape it to where I want. And yeah, still trying to get it loud Smile. Thanks again for the listen man. I appreciate it. Cheers!

.mp3    Mykeymassacre-dontpleasestay-tramp_1.mp3 --  (Download: 19.49 MB)

My beloved mix fell apart when the double kick comes in. The screeching top end from the guitars didn't help it one bit either. And many other things, but... In short, sucks. So I went back and tested my endurance, such long song and such dynamics. But to my surprise, not too bad. The mix really starts from the 3rd solo, about 7 minutes in, so I spent the bulk of time working to make sure I can hear everything, that's an easier part relatively, the real task is not only hearing them, they must be beefy, basking in their own glory as the producer intended, or heads are gonna have to roll, mostly mine. And when the double kicks stampede toward my way I better get out of the way this time. The last time I didn't perform too well. 
Anyway, here it is. The ride is surprisingly important, and who doesn't love the ride, right? I spent so much time trying to get it right, maybe too much actually. But I think it sounds real nice except for the ringing thru the reverb that lingers too long, but I still like it. It will need some minor touch up later on but right now I just let it...ride. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

.mp3    Mykeymassacre-dontpleasestay-tramp_2.mp3 --  (Download: 19.49 MB)

Hi delay on vocals are alot better,but to me the ride is distracting to me, maybe lower them down in places?
Reaper user
Hi Cujoe. Thank you for the comment. Sure, agree that the ride is def too prominent in some places. I also filter some of the ringing out to make room for the snare to shine easier too. I also wanted the guitars a bit louder but every time I did that the snare sounded wimpy right away, so I had to push the snare up. You could see where it'd take me, right? Not that I didn't try my luck anyway. So I kept trying and finally got the guitars up at least a couple dBs without making my snare wimpy, loud enough for my taste anyway. I share my way here just in case anyone runs into the same problem may find it useful.

First, I check the EQ masking to see if I can cut anywhere on either the snare or the guitars. No masking there. Nothing to blame on. Then I checked the comp and thought the guitars' attack could be shorter so that they don't compete with the snare. I don't need the guitars' attack; I need that from the snare more. So I shortened it a few ms and was able to push the guitars faders up a couple dBs. That's all I need. Then I turned my attention to the release. Since I want the snare to snap anyway so I lengthened the release on the snare, to push the sustain down so it doesn't fight with the guitars' sustain, and shortened the release on the guitars to bring up the sustain. I also cut a bit around 6kHz on the snare (bc I think the guitars need it more) and 2 cuts from 3kHz and 4kHz on the guitars where I think the snare may benefit from those cuts. After all those moves I was able to bring both to where I want. Yeah, not that the mix is finished, but at least one problem solved, in my case. Thanks for the listen. Btw, I learned this comp technique from JJP, or at least that's what I think he was trying to say, using the comp to manage micro misalignment in instruments. Just remember when you try it, if you don't hear the change (very micro), it's your hearing. Any compressor can do the job, some easier to hear but all do the same thing, but I'd recommend using the most transparent comp you have. I use stock from pro tools 11, but not the BF76. Any other DAW you can use their stock.

.mp3    Mykeymassacre-dontpleasestay-tramp_3.mp3 --  (Download: 19.49 MB)

Hi S,T the bass on this mix feels a little disconnected,i feel that your first mix felt better? subjective of course all was needed was vocal delay spin and a bit of glue imo, nice snare.
Reaper user
(31-10-2022, 04:05 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi S,T the bass on this mix feels a little disconnected,i feel that your first mix felt better? subjective of course  all was needed was vocal delay spin and a bit of glue imo, nice snare.
I actually don't know what happened. Didn't touch the bass at all, just pulled the ride down as noticed. BUT I should have checked everything a bit more careful. Everything affects everything else, right? Thanks. I'll look for it and see.
Yeah iam always very careful when I make adjustments to a mix,it's like a seesaw effect.
Reaper user
Yeah, but it's not fun playing with the seesaw alone, right? and we don't always catch our mistakes either. But all that are just parts of learning process. We just have to cope with it and be inventive, learning alone has some advantages/ disadvantages. I'd just put a rock on the other side of the seesaw and have fun my myself. Same with mixing. Well, of course, given the nature of the business we're in, it'd be much more fun and productive if we have a listening partner, right? Synergy is the key for us humans, my friend. We always do better by cooperating. I am always on the hunt for a bigger man who can listen to my mix and says to himself, I've got to help this dude make his mix better, even just a little bit. Just minus the ego (or try) and we'll be fine. Either that or "it's not enough that I succeed, someone else must fail". I don't have that attitude.

I am here if you ever need a second opinion. We can always trade.