Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MEKAPHILL - ALIVE YET FREE
My try on this song

.mp3    Mekaphil_AliveYetFree_EDIT_1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.19 MB)

First off, thank you for your mix! Second off, lets get RIGHT INTO THIS HERE CRITIQUE:

1) I love your guitar tones and drum tones. They're aggressive.
2) I LOVE the fx you used. The genuine soundscaping vibe of this overall has me enjoying it a lot!

Now here's some criticisms:
1) The guitar definitely overtakes the vocals during the choruses. This is a very guitar focused track, but the vocals are the main event!
2) GIVE ME MIDS OR GIVE ME DEATH! There's so much room in this mix for like, so much stuff from 300hz up to 2khz, and I feel like that's a perfect place to make sure the drums, guitars, and vocals have a solid balance.
3) There's conflict AT 4khz on the dot. Cut it from drum rooms or cymbals or guitars (I'd opt for that one), whatever you so choose. You can make up for this with air though. Everything over 6khz feels blanketed. You could use an exciter on the entire 10khz and up band, or high shelf it up, or whatever. But it's definitely a dark mix that could use some mids and air. YOUR LOW END IS PERFECT THOUGH.

Hope that gives you an indicator of what you could do with this track should you choose to return to it.
Sincerely,
Phil