Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mykey Massacre: 'Don't Please Stay'
This is my mix.

.mp3    DontPleaseStay MIX1.mp3 --  (Download: 19.53 MB)

Reaper user
Same mix but i semi mastered it slightly different.

.mp3    DontPleaseStay MIX1 New Master.mp3 --  (Download: 19.51 MB)

Reaper user
New mix-master sounds lower (still loud enough) but much better without the distortion.

I like your mix but it's either a bit too much top end or the bottom can go up more. I'd cut on the top end for multiple listening experience. The ears can only handle freq from 2k and up blasting for so long. Hope it helps. Cheers!
(23-10-2022, 08:41 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: New mix-master sounds lower (still loud enough) but much better without the distortion.

I like your mix but it's either a bit too much top end or the bottom can go up more. I'd cut on the top end for multiple listening experience. The ears can only handle freq from 2k and up blasting for so long. Hope it helps. Cheers!
           Thank you for your comments SonicTramp you are right about top end, i have done another semi mastering on this track taking away some of top and a little bottom end to tighten it up and slight midrange boost,i was aware that the first version was louder than the second,i was trying to get more depth from the mix,once again i thank you.

.mp3    DontPleaseStay MIX1 New Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 19.51 MB)

Reaper user
Maybe a slight midrange boost did more harm than good. I hear a build up around 200-350Hz. That makes your mix less clear. The attack of the guitars is too sharp, I think . It takes away the snap of the snare and the attack of vocal and bc of that, it makes your mix a bit dark. If you listen to the end ~7:50 where it's densest, you'd hear the vocal/snare got push down, mostly bc of the lead guitar. I'd shorten the attack (comp) on the guitar until I hear either the snap of the snare or the vocal gets clearer w/o round the guitars too much. Sometimes just a notch around 3-4kHz on the guitars can help clear out the space for both since the snap of the snare and the high (intelligibility) of the vocal live somewhere in that range. Or you can also boost in the same region to snare/vocal instead. But I'd work on managing the midrange first. It may be that's all you need. Hope it helps. Cheers
(28-10-2022, 01:24 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: Maybe a slight midrange boost did more harm than good. I hear a build up around 200-350Hz. That makes your mix less clear. The attack of the guitars is too sharp, I think . It takes away the snap of the snare and the attack of vocal and bc of that, it makes your mix a bit dark. If you listen to the end ~7:50 where it's densest, you'd hear the vocal/snare  got push down, mostly bc of the lead guitar. I'd shorten the attack (comp) on the guitar until I hear either the snap of the snare or the vocal gets clearer w/o round the guitars too much. Sometimes just a notch around 3-4kHz on the guitars can help clear out the space for both since the snap of the snare and the high (intelligibility) of the vocal live somewhere in that range. Or you can also boost in the same region to snare/vocal instead. But I'd work on managing the midrange first. It may be that's all you need. Hope it helps. Cheers
Hi thanks again with those kind of adjustments i had to revisit the mix,so i made some on mix2.

.mp3    DontPleaseStay MIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 19.52 MB)

Reaper user
I think it sounds real nice, no mud, and just bright enough to tickle the ears. Awesome job. There's a slight boom on the guitars (2:51-2:54 and whenever the guitar strummed on the E string) sometimes add to the bass and in turn makes the bass boomy too in some other parts. It's only a few seconds, but as technicians we must address it. The ending (7:45 on) the vocal is hard to hear in your mix. (I HP'ed it to almost 300Hz and gave it a healthy dose of both ~2k and 6k and still not enough). Your snare attack is almost completely cover by the kick when it comes in the same spot, where the double kicks come in. Listen to from 7:24 on, as it gets louder all I hear is just the ride. Still sounds exciting but will be more fun if the snare joins the party, right? @8:09 is where you hear the snare weakest, same with vocal. The ending of this song puts everybody's skill to the test. So yeah, and I don't do any better; my mix still has tons of work to do.

My approach toward mixing is entirely technical. I just want to know how to use all the processors the right way to control my sounds. I just look for problems and try to solve it. I used to get really frustrated (the price of self taught) bc of that but not anymore. I now look for someone who can tear my mix apart and tell me what's wrong with it and share what to do if possible. I am doing the same to you bc I think we learn much better and faster that way. I hope you'll agree.
(31-10-2022, 08:03 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: I think it sounds real nice, no mud, and just bright enough to tickle the ears. Awesome job. There's a slight boom on the guitars (2:51-2:54 and whenever the guitar strummed on the E string) sometimes add to the bass and in turn makes the bass boomy too in some other parts. It's only a few seconds, but as technicians we must address it. The ending (7:45 on) the vocal is hard to hear in your mix. (I HP'ed it to almost 300Hz and gave it a healthy dose of both ~2k and 6k and still not enough). Your snare attack is almost completely cover by the kick when it comes in the same spot, where the double kicks come in. Listen to from 7:24 on, as it gets louder all I hear is just the ride. Still sounds exciting but will be more fun if the snare joins the party, right? @8:09 is where you hear the snare weakest, same with vocal. The ending of this song puts everybody's skill to the test. So yeah, and I don't do any better; my mix still has tons of work to do.

My approach toward mixing is entirely technical. I just want to know how to use all the processors the right way to control my sounds. I just look for problems and try to solve it. I used to get really frustrated (the price of self taught) bc of that but not anymore. I now look for someone who can tear my mix apart and tell me what's wrong with it and share what to do if possible. I am doing the same to you bc I think we learn much better and faster that way. I hope you'll agree.
Hi there i do agree,sometimes though getting too technical can be mentally draining,i used to try to get too technical and before i knew it i was shattered,but hey! if it works for you then thats brilliant and keep it up,with me when i mix now i just let the vibe flow,anyway i have made some more adjustments on Mix3,cheers again and glad you are liking the mix now.

.mp3    DontPleaseStay MIX3.mp3 --  (Download: 19.53 MB)

Reaper user
Yeah, man. Now I can hear the beloved snare, the guitar solo and the vocal where it's densest. That shows me your skill level and I love it, to be able to go back in and whip it out without destroying the mix is in itself admirable. Yeah, I get it that being technical is somewhat irritating (but can we do without?). To me there are 2 trees to bark at, the technical one and the artistic one. There's not much to say about artistic one bc everyone is different, and allowed to be. However, the technical one is slightly different. If you have a boomy kick, you just have a boomy kick. It doesn't matter who says it, right? What's the use writing/playing a song when one can't even do a bar chord w/o buzzing the strings on the guitar, right? I mean the song may still be good but the guitar playing still sucks. Just like your mix now, the guitar is not boomy anymore, I can hear the snap of the snare, the thump of the kick, the vocal, the solo, etc, and I get to enjoy the whole mix w/o distraction. I think it's worth going thru the exercise , both of us, you mixing and me listening. I learn too by just listening to your mix and others'. Thanks.
Iam with you 100%
Reaper user